Middle Georgia State University is seeking candidates for a Police Officer. This position is responsible for enforcing state and local laws as well as campus regulations and for protecting life and property for Middle Georgia State University.
• Patrols to detect and deter crime and to offer assistance when needed.
• Enforces parking regulations; issues citations.
• Investigates suspicious activities or persons.
• Checks the security of buildings.
• Prepares required reports.
• Investigates traffic accidents and criminal or non-criminal incidents.
• Makes arrests of individuals who have committed crimes.
• Testifies in court as required.
• Provides assistance to motorists.
• Responds to emergency incidents.
• Provides security and traffic enforcement at special events.
• Performs related duties.
Ability to read, write and perform mathematical calculations at a level commonly associated with the completion of high school or equivalent. Sufficient experience to understand the basic principles relevant to the major duties of the position. Ability to meet current requirements set forth by the Police Standards and Training Council for the State of Georgia. Skill in the operation of computers and job related software programs; skill in decision making and problem solving; skill in interpersonal relations and in dealing with the public; and skill in oral and written communication.
Post-certified peace officer with knowledge of public safety principles as related to university campuses, knowledge of modern law enforcement principles and practices; knowledge of community policing principles; knowledge of emergency preparedness, response and recovery principles; and skill in the operation of specialized law enforcement equipment.