Salary: $15.40 – entry to grade base + $4.00 additional for Academy Certification for a potential total base of $19.40.
Under general direction, the incumbent performs police duties in enforcing federal, state and local laws and ordinances on an assigned shift; performs related duties as required.
- Must be 21 years of age.
- Possess a high school diploma or G.E.D. equivalent.
- Must be a graduate of or be able to graduate from the 20-week Kentucky Police Basic Training Program within the first year of employment.
- Proof of honorable discharge is required for veterans.
- Officers must be capable of performing patrol by driving, walking, or bicycle, as assigned.
- Applicants must pass a physical exam, physical agility test, polygraph, drug screen, and psychological evaluation as specified by the Kentucky Law Enforcement Council and the Morehead State University Police Department.
- Must possess and maintain a valid driver license issued by the Commonwealth of Kentucky. Effective interpersonal and communication skills.
- The ability to enforce laws, rules and regulations firmly, tactfully and consistently.
- The ability to analyze complex police problems and to adapt quick, effective and reasonable courses of action.
- The ability to maintain records and to prepare clear and concise reports of police activities.
- The ability to react quickly, calmly and effectively under stress and in emergencies.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively within a complex university setting.
- Extensive knowledge of the principles of effective police patrol, physical security, traffic control, criminal investigations, and crime prevention.
- Ability to command departmental personnel.
- The ability to plan, assign, and supervise the work of others in a manner conducive to full performance and high morale.
- The ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other police departments/agencies, University officers and employees, and the general public.