This position serves as a law enforcement officer for the University and also supervises non-sworn Public Safety employees. This position has been designated as an “Essential” Employee under the Emergency Preparedness Plan in order to ensure that University operations continue uninterrupted during periods of public health or other emergencies, including those that require MillikinUniversity to close or restrict operations.
- Establish positive, professional relationships with students and other community members.
- Directed foot patrols with a community-oriented focus.
- Vehicle patrols of campus area.
- Investigation and enforcement of violations of state law, local ordinance, or University regulations.
- Thorough documentation (report writing) of investigative and enforcement activities.
- Supervise and train non-sworn Public Safety staff.
- Establish positive professional relationships with students and other community members.
- Security staffing of special events and programs.
- Life safety checks of campus buildings and systems.
- Securing and un-securing of campus buildings and classrooms.
- Enforcement of University rules and regulations.
- Maintain secure control of lost and found or evidentiary items.
- Act as a first responder in crisis situations, including medical emergencies.
- Respond and check fire, burglar, and duress alarms on campus property.
- Provide safety escorts to campus community members as needed.
- Relieve officers assigned as dispatchers as needed.
- High School Diploma or GED, Associates Degree or higher preferred.
- 2+ years as a sworn law enforcement officer with a law enforcement department (s). Prefer experience in a higher education environment. Experience as a Field Training Officer and/or a School Resource Officer is also preferred.
- Certified Law Enforcement Officer (Illinois) or ILETSB waiver eligible equivalent; Valid Driver’s License.
- Field Training Officer, School Resource Officer.
- Live within 1 hour travel time of campus, within 6 months of appointment.