The Police Officer works under the direction of a department sergeant; performs police patrol, investigation, traffic regulation and related law enforcement activities.
Pay: 22.16 – 32.80
1. As a sworn Police Officer, performs duties that consist of providing community protection
1.1 Places own life or personal safety at risk
1.2 Performs duties that actively prevent or detect crime and enforce criminal statutes or ordinances of the state of Utah and the City of South Salt Lake
1.3 Responds to situations involving threats to public safety and making emergency decisions affecting the lives and health of others
1. Works on rotating shifts patrolling city streets, parks, commercial and residential areas
2.1 Preserves the peace and enforces the law
2.2 Controls vehicular traffic
2.3 Prevents or detects and investigates misconduct involving misdemeanors, felonies and other law violations
2.4 Maintains a visible profile to discourage crime
2.5 Performs surveillance functions
2.6 Testifies in court on criminal cases as required
2.7 Maintains normal availability by radio or telephone for consultation on major emergencies
1. Performs other law enforcement related activities
3.1 Prepares a variety of reports and records including officer's Daily Log, reports of investigations, etc.
3.2 Participates in drills and other department training activities including the use of firearms
3.3 Provides community oriented police work, and assists citizens with such matters as crime prevention, drug abuse resistance education (DARE), traffic safety, etc.
3.4 Provides community information through speeches to citizen groups and answers citizen inquiries
• Must be 21 years or older at the time of employment.
• Must have completed the Peace Officer Standards and Training
• Must possess, or be able to obtain by time of hire, P.O.S.T Category I certification.
• Must possess a valid state driver's license or have the ability to obtain one prior to employment