Under general supervision, enforces South Carolina laws and the Town of Summerville ordinances. Work involves patrolling assigned zone on foot, on motorcycle, or in patrol car to control traffic, prevent crime or disturbance of peace, and arrest violators. Employee works under stressful, high-risk conditions.
- Enforces all Federal and State laws and Town ordinances relating to public safety and welfare; performs all duties in compliance with applicable policies, procedures, laws, regulations and standards of safety.
- Responds to dispatch assigned calls for service within the corporate limits of the Town; addresses as deemed lawful and necessary.
- Patrols assigned areas to deter or reduce criminal activity; monitors traffic in the corporate limits of the Town.
- Maintains public safety by arresting law violators.
- Completes and submits incident and/or collision reports.
- Performs the booking and processing of prisoners.
- Conducts traffic stops; writes citations for violator for infractions of the law.
- Assists or backs up other officers on calls.
- Maintains issued equipment; arranges for necessary repairs.
- Prosecutes cases; prepares court packets; and testifies in court when necessary.
Minimum Education and Experience –
Requires a high school diploma or equivalent with one to two years’ experience; or any equivalent combination of training and experience, which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities. Must have a valid South Carolina driver’s license.