Organization Name: Police Department
Amount of Travel: No Travel
Note: The following duties are illustrative and not exhaustive. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position. Depending on assigned area of responsibility, incumbents in the position may perform one or more of the activities described below.
- Enforces all Aviation Authority regulations, federal, state and local laws.
- Enforces traffic laws by observing, issuing citations and warnings and apprehending violators on Aviation Authority premises.
- Responds to calls and investigates problems, disturbances, traffic accidents, crimes, emergencies and other incidents; provides assistance and prepares related reports.
- Performs foot and vehicle patrols in assigned areas on Aviation Authority property to detect and monitor possible criminal activity and interrogates suspicious persons.
- Apprehends and arrests suspected law violators to ensure public safety.
- Testifies in court to provide an accurate account of investigation reports and findings.
- Provides information and assistance to the public.
- Administers Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) and first aid as required and maintains certification currency.
- Impounds abandoned or illegally parked vehicles, and vehicles used in the commission of crimes.
- Transports prisoners to detention or medical facilities.
- Maintains patrol car, weapons and other law enforcement equipment to insure operational readiness.
- Operates communications equipment.
- Completes written reports and required forms in accordance with standard operating procedures and directives.
- Prepares and preserves evidence in accordance with directives to maintain chain of custody.
- Performs other related duties as required.
- Working knowledge of crime detection, criminal investigation, accident investigation and court procedures.
- Working knowledge of civil and criminal laws, police and Aviation Authority rules, regulations and standard operating procedures.
- Working knowledge of traffic accident control measures and investigation methods and techniques.
- Skill in the use and care of firearms and other law enforcement related equipment.
- Skill in the use of communications equipment.
- Skill in administering CPR and first aid.
- Ability to make effective decisions calmly and quickly in emergency or hazardous situations.
- Ability to enforce the law courteously, tactfully, firmly and impartially.
- Ability to follow established procedures and pay close attention to detail.
- Ability to work effectively with others.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Ability to prepare work related reports.
- Ability and willingness to work rotating shifts to include nights, weekends and holidays in a subtropical climate under adverse weather conditions.
- Ability to work with antagonistic persons or with the public under adverse conditions.
- Ability to safely operate a motor vehicle.
- Ability to maintain confidential information.
- Ability to use a computer and related software
- Graduation from high school or possession of a GED Certificate.
- Age 19 years or older.
- A United States citizen.
- Possession of a State of Florida Law Enforcement Officer Certification.
- Possession of a valid State of Florida Driver License.
AND ONE OF THE FOLLOWING:
- Three years of experience as a federal, state, county, city or airport authority law enforcement officer.
- An Associate's degree.
- Two years of experience as a federal, state, county, city or airport authority law enforcement officer.
- Three years of active duty military service with any branch of the United States Armed Forces or the United States Coast Guard, National Guard, or Reserves.
- Three years of experience as a State of Florida certified Detention Deputy/Correctional Officer.
- Two years of employment with the Hillsborough County Aviation Authority.
- An Associate's degree.
- Successful completion of a State of Florida Criminal Justice Standards and Training Commission certified Police Academy.