In accordance with Local Ordinances, State Statues, Federal Law, and established departmental and county policies, procedures, and guidelines, performs a wide variety of police and law enforcement activities that include an element of personal danger and exposure to adverse conditions. The employee must be able to act without direct supervision and to exercise independent judgment in meeting emergencies. Duties are primarily service oriented and include protection of life and property, dispensing information, arbitrating disputes, providing assistance through referrals, crime prevention and investigation, apprehending criminals, directing traffic, and other public safety services. Work is reviewed by inspection, observation of results, and thorough oral and written reports.
1/31/2019 11:59 PM Central
• Maintain prompt, predictable and regular physical attendance.
• Maintain the ability to lawfully operate designated motor vehicles and equipment at all times that duties are performed.
• Maintain the ability to travel throughout and enter all different properties in the jurisdiction.
• Provide truthful/accurate written and verbal communications.
• Maintain the ability to competently and credibly testify in court.
• Maintain the ability to lawfully carry and use a firearm.
• Maintain, and actively promote, effective working relationships with coworkers and management.
• Works to assigned shift using own judgment in deciding course of action being expected to handle difficult and emergency situations without assistance.
• Interview and interrogate victims, witnesses, and suspects as appropriate.
• Maintain continuous preventative patrol throughout the city streets, parks, commercial and residential areas to preserve the peace and enforce the law.
• Maintain availability, as able, by radio or telephone for consultation on emergencies.
• Participate in investigating criminal law violations occurring in the City of Antigo.
(A) General knowledge of modern law enforcement principles, procedures, techniques, and equipment with the ability to develop a working knowledge of departmental rules, regulations, policies, and procedures.
(B) Ability to work effectively under stressful conditions; handle sensitive and, at times, disturbing information and situations; and maintain composure under emergency situations.
(C) Ability to exercise sound judgment and analyze situations quickly and objectively to determine the proper course of action within the established framework of policies and procedures.
(D) Skill in operating a motor vehicle under adverse conditions.
(E) Ability to organize high volumes of data and legal principles into accurate and understandable police reports.
(F) Ability to communicate, understand, and effectively follow oral and written instructions.
(G) Ability to communicate effectively with superiors, subordinates, and the general public, with the ability to exercise discretion.
(H) Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with subordinates, peers, and supervisors.
(I) Ability to care for and safely operate a variety of firearms and chemical agents.
(J) Ability to learn the city's geography.
(K) Must have a working knowledge or ability and willingness to obtain a working knowledge of the following
1. Windows operating systems and programs with an emphasis on Microsoft office; and
2. Ability to navigate web applications, and have an understanding of other emergent technology and peripherals
(L) Some skilling in operating tools and equipment listed below.
(M) Ability to meet the special requirements listed below.
(A) Must be of high moral character, and be self-controlled, hard-working, and have highly ethical habits; and free of any felony, serious misdemeanor, or domestic abuse conviction; and
(B) Must be in good physical condition to perform the essential job functions of a law enforcement officer; and
(C) Must possess, or be able to obtain by the time of hire, a valid Wisconsin Diver License with a good driving record; and
(D) Must be a United States citizen; and
(E) Must be at least 18 years old; and
(F) Must be able to clearly speak, read, and write the English language; and
(G) Must pass a drug screening.