Police Officer 1
Typical Hiring Range CBA Negotiated Rate: $28.49/hr
Job Description Summary:
The George Washington University Police Department is seeking highly motivated individuals for the position of Police Officer I. Our goal is to be the premier university law enforcement agency in the region; best paid, best equipped and best trained. The GW Police Department is responsible for providing primary law enforcement and public safety service to a diverse university population of 25,000 students, faculty, and staff across two urban campuses located in Washington, D.C. The department is committed to encouraging professional growth and development of its officers and takes a progressive approach to promote public safety and community engagement centered on its core values of accountability, trust, and transparency. If this is what you want in a career, GWPD is looking for you.
- Patrols assigned areas and buildings to enforce DC laws and administrative GW ordinances.
- Responds to emergencies by assessing the situation and employing tact, diplomacy and individual judgment.
- May assist higher-level officers to conduct fact-finding investigations or specific projects, as well as occasionally appear in court regarding various incidents that occur within the University community as necessary.
- Performs other related duties as assigned. The omission of specific duties does not preclude the supervisor from assigning duties that are logically related to the position.
- This position is subject to a Collective Bargaining Agreement.
This position is an Essential work position. These positions perform essential core safety and operational functions and typically need to be on campus even when access to campus is restricted. (For example: these employees reported to work daily throughout the pandemic – lab personnel, EHS staff, police officers, facilities staff among.)
Subject to Collective Bargaining Agreement.
Additional Required Licenses/Certifications/Posting Specific Minimum Qualifications:
- Maintain a valid drivers’ and eligibility to drive GW vehicles as per University policy during the course of employment.
- Must be able to pass GWPD administered physical fitness assessment and written assessment prior to job offer. (For details, contact GWPD Training Unit)
- Must possess a Police Officer Standards & Training (P.O.S.T) police training academy certification with a minimum of 700 training hours or ability to obtain certification and meet academy physical fitness requirements as training seats become available.
- Pass a physical exam, drug screen, psychological assessment, and background investigation.
- Maintain a valid District of Columbia Special Police Commission during the course of employment.