Salary: $24.39 – $35.37 Hourly.
This position is responsible for receiving and responding to routine and emergency calls to the Dispatch Center and dispatching calls to multiple agencies, including Police, Fire, Emergency Medical Services (EMS), and most City divisions Electric, Streets, Water/Wastewater, and Harbor Master in accordance with established Department policies and procedures.
- Receives, relays, and transmits routine and emergency telephone calls to police, fire, EMS, and other public safety and public works agencies and units in a timely manner.
- Monitors and relays information on several radio frequencies to include police, fire, medical, and other public service entities; monitors alarms in various locations within the community and dispatches appropriate public safety unit.
- Simultaneously monitors and relays information on multiple computer, radio and phone systems.
- Maintains contact with and monitors status of field units.
- Prepares and maintains records and reports as required by local and state laws and the policies and procedures of the Center; maintains logs to record all communication traffic and messages received and relayed; records shift activities and incidents in Journal.
- Maintains confidentiality with all aspects of the job.
- Assists in the field training program for new employees.
- Assists the jail by conducting searches of prisoners when needed.
- Monitors and answers tests for Civil Defense Emergency Services; conducts tests locally for emergency preparedness of the City and outlying areas; receives earthquake and tsunami information; alerts City and outlying areas in the event of a disaster.
- Provides notary service for the public and documents for court.
- Must be willing and able to travel to attend training as required by the department
- Provides effective and efficient customer service and promotes and maintains responsive community relations.
- Follows safe work practices.
- High school diploma or GED; supplemented by at least 1 year of experience in working with the public.
- Valid driver’s license.
- Must have ability, under reasonable conditions, to respond to Police Department within 20 minutes.
- Must be able to work shifts, holidays, and weekends as needed.
- Required to pass the selection process’ written exam, in addition to a background investigation to determine suitability for police support work and the maintenance of confidential records.
- Drug test must be passed prior to employment.