Salary Range: $3,900 – $4,100 per month.
Open until filled
The Police Dispatcher is a specialized classification within the Fresno State Police Department. The Police Dispatcher provides essential dispatch communications. Dispatchers are responsible for maintaining effective and efficient communications between the dispatch center, campus police officers, non-sworn department personnel, other university departments and personnel, outside emergency and law enforcement agencies, and the public. The Police Dispatcher also plays a vital role in records maintenance.
- Knowledge of current office methods, practices, and procedures.
- Working knowledge of public safety-related agencies and the respective communication protocols.
- Ability to:
- Learn the use of applicable automated dispatch and law enforcement systems and databases.
- Effectively use a phonetic alphabet.
- Provide clear and concise verbal directions quickly and accurately.
- Apply effective listening, writing and oral skill and competence in interpreting and communicating procedures, policies, information, ideas, and instructions.
- Transfer information accurately, both verbally and in writing.
- Follow oral and written instructions.
- Use standard office automation software including word processing, email, and related software applications.
- Handle a wide range of interpersonal interactions effectively.
- Maintain composure in highly stressful situations or when dealing with difficult individuals.
- Maintain the confidentiality of sensitive information.
- Work effectively with faculty, students, and the general public staff from diverse ethnic, cultural and socio- economic backgrounds.
- Work day, night, and weekend shifts.
- Willingness and ability to work overtime for shift coverage and events as needed.
- A history of regular attendance and positive performance evaluations.
- Must have completed the Police Officers Standards and Training (POST) Dispatcher Course.
- Must successfully pass a POST Dispatcher Background Check.
- Must have a working knowledge of legal codes, requirements, and procedures for receiving complaints and calls for service, as well as dispatching officers and other public safety staff appropriately.
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
- One (1) year of dispatching experience in a law enforcement or comparable agency within the last five (5) years.
- Three (3) years of dispatching experience in a law enforcement or comparable agency within the last ten years.