As a centrally located local government, the Town of Herndon boasts a unique balance of strong sense of community and being a next generation small town that welcomes innovators, risk takers, history seekers and family-keepers. Each employee is pivotal in providing exceptional services to our citizens, such as public safety, community development, recreational activities and much more ensuring Herndon continues to provide the charm of a small town while fostering and developing the ideas of tomorrow.
The Town of Herndon has an immediate need for a Virginia Certified Police Officer in the Herndon Police Department. This department maintains a national accreditation and utilizes community policing to preserve public peace and to protect lives, property, and rights of the town’s citizens. As a Detective, you will perform investigative duties that include enforcement of laws, response to calls for service and investigation of crime and complaints and may perform in specialized assignments as approved. Under general direction, this position preserves public peace, protects lives, property, and rights, in accordance with applicable laws, ordinances and constitutional protections.
In this position, you will support the Town of Herndon by:
- Processing crime scenes, conducting interviews (witnesses/victims/suspects), preparing affidavits for search warrants, making arrests, the completion of investigative police reports and case files, the presentation of criminal cases to prosecutors, and testifying in court.
- Conducting criminal investigations section (CIS) are responsible for the prevention, detection, investigation, and prosecution of criminal violations related to crimes of persons and property in the Town of Herndon
- Being assigned cases by supervisory personnel and are expected to work efficiently with little supervision and maintain communication with both victims of crime and supervisory personnel to update progress and developments regarding assigned cases
To be successful in this role, you will need:
- High school diploma or GED required
- Supplemented by successful completion of Virginia Law Enforcement Training Academy and subsequent department field training
- Supplemented by ten years’ experience as a Police Officer, five of which must be as a detective.
- Ability to obtain certification in firearms proficiency, first aid and other emergency measures
- Valid driver’s license with acceptable record
- Must be a United States Citizen
To learn more information on the Town Herndon’s lateral hiring program, please click here.
- Varies, 80 hours per two week pay period.
- Polygraph examination.
- Comprehensive medical examination.
- Background investigation.
- Psychological examination.
- Oral review board interview.
- Selection interview with Town of Herndon Chief of Police.
Herndon Police Department; 397 Herndon Parkway, Herndon, VA 20170
Due to the nature of a government providing services to the public all duties of this position are required to be fulfilled at the designated worksite in the town. No remote work is available.