Serves as the Operations or Support Service Division Commander; supervises police officers, investigators, Youth Services Coordinator and others as assigned, and trains and disciplines subordinate employees.
Under general direction of the Police Chief, the Police Commander operates within the City of Sterling’s policies/procedures and quality standards while performing the following essential functions and responsibilities: (Essential functions are those functions that the individual who holds the position must be able to perform unaided or with the assistance of reasonable accommodation.)
- Makes policy recommendations regarding procedures, work rules, and performance standards to assure the efficient and effective operation of the Police Department in compliance with Federal, State and local laws;
- Provides managerial leadership and directs the selection, supervision, training and evaluation of divisional staff. Conducts or oversees performance evaluations, and initiates and implements disciplinary actions as warranted to correct employee deficiencies within the scope of authority established in the City of Sterling’s Personnel Policies. Resolves grievances, complaints, and other sensitive personnel matters within their scope of authority; interviews candidates and makes recommendations as to initial placement of suitable candidates and/or promotions of existing divisional employees; assures all personnel are trained and equipped to perform duties;
- Accepts and resolves any citizen and employee complaints within the position’s scope of authority;
- Establishes and maintains cooperative and effective working relationships with the City and other government officials, representatives of public and private organizations, other agencies, citizen’s groups, outside suppliers and vendors, department heads, employees, and the general public;
- Completes and submits any monthly, semi-annual, and annual reports as required by local, state and federal governmental agencies;
- Maintains supervisory responsibility for the use, care, maintenance, repair and security of buildings and equipment assigned to Department;
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING:
Education: Minimum of an Associates Degree in police sciences, law, law enforcement techniques, the social sciences, and related fields is preferred,
Experience: Five (5) years of experience in law enforcement including three (3) years of experience at the level of Sergeant or above. An equivalent combination of education, training and experience that demonstrates required knowledge, skills and abilities may be considered.
P.O.S.T certified as a Peace Officer, Level I, by the State of Colorado
CPR/First Aid Certification
- Possess and maintain the appropriate CO operator’s license for the type of City owned vehicle which the employee may operate in the scope of employment;
- Minimum 21 years of age and U.S. Citizen;
- Must abide by City residency requirement to qualify for take-home vehicle benefit;
- Must be able to legally possess and carry a firearm;
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include 20/20 vision or correctable to 20/20 vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, normal color acuity.