Hiring Range: $103,615-$129,519
SUMMARY: Under limited direction, plans, organizes, directs and controls the activities and personnel of the Police Department.
DISTINGUISHING CHARACTERISITICS: This is the executive-level job class within the Police Department and reports to the City Manager.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Plans, develops, coordinates and evaluates departmental activities and programs by supervising and participating in actual enforcement activities, providing court testimony, processing crime scenes, investigating crimes in progress, serving warrants and overseeing major crimes or emergency events.
- Directs, evaluates and motivates department personnel. Hires, promotes and terminates employees; evaluates employee performance. Responds to grievances and maintains discipline, conduct and general behavior of staff.
- Responds to and commands major incidents, traffic accidents and criminal investigations. May become involved in and must be able to perform Police Officer essential functions (refer to most current Police Office job description).
- Manages the finances of the department. Submits operating budget to City Manager for approval, controls and monitors expenses. Ensures department purchasing and procurement follow policies and procedures.
- Reviews, evaluates and develops programs, policies and procedures for departmental operations. Sets goals and strategic plans for department operations. Writes policies and procedures, plans and assigns training events and activities for the department.
- Meets with citizens, other law enforcement agencies, councils, boards and other parties to address enforcement, legal and policy issues. Serves as the public information officer for the Department.
- Researches and applies for grants and funding to increase technology, equipment, personnel and skills.
Education, Experience, Certifications and Licenses:
- High School diploma or equivalent GED certificate.
- Bachelor’s Degree; or equivalent work experience and training that provides the required knowledge and skills.
- Certified Arizona Peace Officer (POST), and ten (10) years experience in law enforcement with three (3) of those years at the command level or above.
- Must possess State of Arizona Driver’s license, and clear criminal record.