JOB QUALIFICTIONS and DUTIES
North Cornwall Township, Lebanon County, PA, is accepting applications for the position of Chief of Police. The position is a Fair Labor Standards Act – exempt, salaried non-civil service position.
The successful applicant must possess and maintain valid certification as a police officer under Pennsylvania Act 120 and possess and maintain a valid Pennsylvania driver’s license. Salary will be based on experience and qualifications, will include benefits healthcare medical, dental, and vision benefits, paid time off, retirement pension, paid holidays, sick time, as well as other benefits.
Applicant must possess the following minimum qualifications:
- A minimum of 10 years’ experience as a licensed or certified police officer
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience as a patrol officer
- A minimum of 5 years supervisory experience and management training as a police officer at a rank of Sergeant or higher rank.
- Residency within 10 miles of the North Cornwall Township Municipal Building or establish such residency, within 6 months following the candidate’s appointment as Chief of Police
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills in dealing the public, news media, the police department, and elected officials.
- Knowledge of law enforcement principles, policies and regulations with at least an Associate Degree from an Accredited College or University in Police Administration or related field, including but not limited to Criminal Justice, completed attendance at the Pennsylvania Chiefs of Police Association Command Institute for Police Executive (POLEX) or graduate of the FBI National Academy or comparable management/leadership training.
- Availability to perform essential functions of a patrolman’s position, as well as the ability to work regular weekly schedule in addition to one’s administrative duties.
- Demonstrated public speaking and communication abilities.
- Demonstrate and implement strong leadership and decision-making skills.
- Knowledge and experience in budget preparation and implementation.
- Knowledge and ability to implement community policing concepts and policies.
- Ability to identify and allocate resources (manpower, equipment and budgetary) during routine and emergency operations.
- Required to be available for response on an on-call basis.
- Ability to supervise and direct patrol and investigative staff.
- Experience in preparation and implementation of patrol and investigative scheduling, policies, and procedures
All applicants must complete an application for employment and submit a detailed resume of training and experience. Successful candidates will be required to pass physical and mental examinations as required by the Pennsylvania Act 120, and interviews, criminal history, driver license history and credit history background investigations as well as drug and alcohol testing as required by North Cornwall Township employee’s handbook. Applications for employment may be obtained on-line at nctown.org., in person between 7:00 AM and 4:00 PM at North Cornwall Township, 320 S. 18th Street, Lebanon, PA 17042, or by calling the Township at 717-273-9200.
THE DEADLINE FOR ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS IS OCTOBER 30, 2021
Completed applications, resumes and other pertinent information should be sent to:
North Cornwall Township, Attn: Police Chief Position, 320 S. 18th Street, Lebanon, PA 17042