This position is responsible for directing the operations of the Police, Communication, and Animal Control Departments.
• Plans, coordinates, supervises, and evaluates department operations; establishes methods for accomplishing departmental objectives; ensures goals and objectives are compatible with city goals and objectives.
• Maintains knowledge of changes in laws, policies and procedures; remains informed of new methods, trends and developments in law enforcement; ensures that department personnel are apprised of all changes applicable to their positions.
• Responds to serious or complex incidents; secures and organizes crime scenes; supervises criminal investigations and coordinates additional personnel and resources as needed.
• Develops and administers the department budget; seeks grants to assists in financing department activities.
• Represents the department before the city government and the community; attends City Council and other municipal meetings.
• Serves as emergency management coordinator for the city.
• Monitors and ensures the scheduling and assigning of work, the instruction and training of employees, and the evaluation of employee performance; exercises disciplinary action as needed.
• Recruits, selects and hires departmental employees; develops and supervises the hiring and promotion process, including testing, interviews, background investigations and job offers.
• Performs related duties.
Bachelor’s degree in Criminal Justice, Police Administration, or related field; Masters Degree preferred. • At least six (6) to nine (9) years of supervisory experience, experience as Police Chief preferred. • Possession of an Advanced Peace Officer License; Master preferred. • Possession of a valid Class “C” Driver’s License issued by the State of Texas.