Salary Range – – $66,560 to $93,600 full time/non-exempt position
The Police Chief plans, organizes, directs and evaluates the activities of the Police Department under the direction of the Mayor. This position ensures that the departmental mission, the protection of life and property, is carried out in a just and objective manner with a focus on community policing.
• Plans and directs all administrative and technical activities in the Police Department; develops and implements internal policies, procedures, schedules and other operating practices, rules and regulation affecting police operations.
• Hiring/discipline of personnel; plans, organizes, coordinates, directs and evaluates the work of subordinate personnel; provides training and opportunities for employee development; oversees compliance with Town personnel policies.
• Coordinates with county, state and federal officers as appropriate, such as in the apprehension and detention of wanted persons; cooperates with other agencies, such as the County and State Patrols, as appropriate where activities of the Police Department are involved.
• Assumes command of cases.
• Inspects and analyzes crime trends, juvenile delinquency, traffic conditions, vice and narcotic conditions, and related police problems; determines appropriate actions to take and implement; compiles data in reports to Mayor / Council as directed.
• Hears public complaints demanding police action and determines best course of action. Directly handles all complaints against the department, police personnel; assures that complaints are dealt with in an appropriate, timely, fair manner.
• Develops annual budgets for the department; assures that all monies and properties taken in by the department are properly accounted for and safeguarded; manages departmental equipment and inventories, including the proper disposal of properties as authorized in accordance with established policies.
Education and Experience:
Bachelor’s degree in police science or related field and ten years of law enforcement experience, including three years in police management: or any combination of education and experience which would provide the applicant with the desired skills, knowledge and ability required to perform the job.
Licensing and Certification:
Valid Washington State Driver’s License with driving record free from serious or frequent violations.