$14.46 – $24.10 Hourly
9/23/2022 11:59 PM Eastern
The Police Cadet under close supervision, receives on-the-job training in basic law enforcement skills, traffic control, crime prevention, communications, first aid, crime scene search, arrest procedures and criminal investigation. Receives training in basic tools of criminology, fingerprinting, photography, and various communication systems. Assigned to public service positions answering telephones, responding to information requests, and performing general clerical work as required. Performs stock clerk duties issuing and receiving supplies.
Applicant must have graduated high school or been awarded their General Education Diploma at the time of selection. Highly qualified applicants will receive further processing that will include polygraph examination; medical exam; psychological exam; physical ability test; background interview; comprehensive background investigation and final selection interview.
(The illustrative duties listed in this specification are representative of the class but are not an all-inclusive list. A complete list of position duties and unique physical requirements can be found in the position description.)
- Participates in on-the-job training in the areas of traffic control, investigations, crime prevention, communications, first aid and crime scene investigation procedures;
- Takes courses in how to take fingerprints and process film;
- Participates in emergency vehicle operations training and firearm familiarization courses;
- Assists in inventory control as well as receiving/issuing supplies;
- Assists in inventorying and handling seized and stolen property, which will be used as evidence in court;
- Performs various administrative functions.
Any combination of education, experience, and training equivalent to:
High school graduation or a GED issued by a state department of education certified by the Virginia State Department of Education.
Professional working proficiency, or higher, in a foreign language or American sign Language.
NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
- Applicants must be between the ages of 17 ½ to 20.
- Must be a U.S. citizen or resident alien eligible for U.S. citizenship by age 21.