Salary: $17.54 – $20.34 Hourly.
To perform a variety of tasks in a planned program of orientation to the field of law enforcement; and performs related duties, as assigned.
This is a part-time classification performing routine or moderately complex work assisting in the field of law enforcement and involves the incumbent assisting in the various phases of law enforcement and the general operation of a police department. The Police Cadet program is designed to prepare the Police Cadet for a career in law enforcement. Some of the Police Cadet’s duties are similar to those of regular Police Officers, but at no point is a Police Cadet’s assignment directly comparable with that of a regular Police Officer.
- Assist the public by giving routine information on police department services.
- Perform a variety of typing and clerical tasks in filing and indexing of records.
- Check physical security of private and public buildings.
- Fingerprint and photograph applicants for employment; assist in evidence storage.
- Conduct crime prevention and school programs.
- Conduct parking enforcement duties.
- May operate a radio-dispatching unit, answer calls, record information, transmit information in accordance with procedure or as directed by supervisor.
- Completion of high school, its equivalent or currently enrolled as a high school senior.
- Preference is given to candidates participating in a college level criminal justice program or related field.
- Possession of a valid Driver’s License issued from the California Department of Motor Vehicles.
- Must have no felony convictions, or misdemeanor convictions involving moral turpitude.