Salary: $16.06 – $19.52 Hourly.
This is a part-time position (20-30 hours of duty per week) with no fringe benefits other than salary and sick leave accrual as per the Healthy Workplace/Healthy Families Act of 2014. Police Cadets are non-sworn personnel and are generally assigned to the Special Services Division of the Police Department. Under limited supervision, Cadets perform varied responsible tasks supporting general Police Department work, and perform related work as assigned. Though not required, this position provides valuable experience through limited exposure to the various aspects of law enforcement which would be helpful to a candidate interested in seeking a future career as a Police Officer.
- Records – Assists in Records Bureau as Citation Clerk processing parking and traffic citations; indexing, filing, and answering telephones; fingerprinting; and general clerical duties. This position requires attention to detail, computer data entry, and ability to prepare and maintain traffic/parking reports.
- Vehicle/Equipment Maintenance – Performs maintenance inspection of police vehicles; conducts minor repair work; transports vehicles to location of repair; and prepares monthly maintenance reports.
- Parking Enforcement – Issues citations for parking violations, abandoned vehicles, and traffic control.
- Security Patrol – Drives and walks through parking lots or assigned areas observing and monitoring activities in the area, and reporting suspicious criminal activities and/or hazardous conditions to the Police Department through the use of hand-held radio and/or telephone.
- Ability to work independently, reason and react effectively and maturely, comply with and comprehend verbal and written instruction, and learn to operate telephone, teletype, and radio equipment.
- Must be able to meet and work tactfully and courteously with the public.
- Ability to prepare reports utilizing correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar and perform a variety of clerical duties.
- Must be able to stand for long periods of time, and be able to lift 50 lbs.
- Acquaintance with police practices and methods is desirable.
- Graduation from high school or GED and a minimum age of 18 years at time of appointment required.
- Must possess a valid California driver license, a good driving record, and proof of insurability.