This is a continuous recruitment. We will continue to accept applications until the hiring department determines enough qualified applications have been received. However, we will begin the testing process when a sufficient number of applications have been received and will continue periodic testing after that and per the needs of the Department.
Here in Huntington Beach, we believe passionately that the key to becoming the best beach City in the world starts and ends with finding the right people to join our team. At this time, we have outstanding opportunities available, as we’re looking for the “right people” to serve as Police Cadet with the Police Department.
First and foremost, the City is seeking individuals who have an unwavering commitment to team-based environment, and recognize that leaders must be focused always on serving their people. For us in Huntington Beach, successful candidates must be genuinely committed to living our organization’s behavioral values, which include:
- Humility… be willing to place the team before self.
- Exceptionality… be really (REALLY) good at what you do.
- Social Awareness… say and do those things that bring people together.
- Passion… recognize the awesome responsibility we have to serve the people of HB.
- Integrity… live our values authentically.
Outside of these behavioral characteristics, we’re also looking for candidates who are ready to grow and develop and who can envision new ways to improve and enhance services.
The Huntington Beach Police Department Cadet program introduces young men and women, ages 18 to 25, to the field of law enforcement. This is a part-time job in which the cadet must be enrolled as a full-time student in high school or college at the time of appointment. Work hours are assigned around the student’s class schedule. The Cadet program is designed to develop the skills and abilities of young individuals who wish to one day pursue a career in law enforcement. Cadets are provided with the opportunity to work a variety of assignments throughout the Police Department, including, but not limited to, the Front Desk, Sub-stations, Training Unit and Communications. Successful candidates, after one-year of employment, are encouraged to apply for the testing process to potential appointment to Police Recruit. Police Recruits are full-time, regular status employees (salary plus benefits package) and attend a local Police Academy.
$15.00 – $20.10 Hourly
Cadets are provided with the opportunity to work a variety of assignments throughout the Police Department, including, but not limited to, the Front Desk, Jail, Sub-stations, Training Unit and Communications.
- At time of appointment, applicants must be at least 18 years to 23 years of age (although you may remain in the program up to 25 years of age).
- Currently enrolled in high school or college and carrying a minimum of 12 semester units during the school term with minimum grade point average of 2.0 (9 units if possessing 70 units of college level course work or Associate of Arts degree).
- A valid California Driver's License at time of appointment and good driving record.
- No criminal convictions.
- Good moral and ethical history.