Salary: $63,731.20 – $66,934.40 Annually.
Closing Date: 12/30/2023
A Louisville Police Officer will work under the general supervision of a Police Sergeant or Police Corporal, perform a wide variety of police and law enforcement duties, and is expected to respond to any and all situations that require a public safety presence. Police Officers are expected to protect life and property, maintain public order, conduct investigations, handle traffic enforcement and code enforcement, apprehend and arrest offenders, conduct civil processes, work with schools, business and community groups to foster good citizen/police relationships and pro-actively reduce crime. Police Officers must be capable of using physical force, including deadly force, to protect citizens and apprehend criminal suspects; provide medical services, help the mentally ill, conduct searches, and make public presentations. Police Officers are held to the highest ethical code of conduct while both on-duty and off- duty. The Police Cadet and Police Officer positions involve an especially thorough pre-employment background investigation screening and testing process.
- Respond to priority calls regarding public disturbances, criminal, civil, or emergency situations; direct activities on site unless relieved by a supervisor; may provide emergency medical assistance, traffic control, and otherwise ensure attention is given to general public safety.
- Detect and prevent criminal activities by surveillance of assigned business and residential areas. Notes possible criminal occurrences and takes steps to prevent criminal actions. Promotes crime prevention by initiating contact with businesses and residents including explaining applicable laws, soliciting cooperation in crime reporting, and otherwise creating a good rapport with citizens.
- Investigates crime scenes and traffic crashes, assists other officers. Identifies, collects, and preserves evidence, and interviews witnesses, and suspects.
- Enforces traffic laws and vehicle codes and promotes pedestrian safety.
- Prepares a variety of handwritten and typed reports related to crimes, accidents, and other duties. Maintains logs, completes forms and prepares reports as requested.
- Provides a variety of related police services including transporting prisoners, providing assistance to motorists, resolving domestic disturbances, public speaking before civic and non-civic groups, and testifies in court.
- Makes forceable and non-forceable arrests.
- Operates specialized and non-specialized police equipment including a police car, firearms, handcuffs, leg cuffs, radios, and other related equipment. Uniformed officers are required to wear a ballistic vest.
- Candidates must be 21 years of age by academy graduation.
- Possess a valid Colorado Drivers License.
- Must have correctable vision to 20/40.
- Must have 60 accredited college credit hours in Criminal Justice, Public Administration, Sociology, Psychology, Business Administration, Management of Public Administration, or a related field.
- OR a minimum of 2 years of active duty military experience.
- Accredited BA/BS degree in the aforementioned areas of study is strongly desired.
- An acceptable combination of education, training, and experience may be considered.