Police Academy Trainee
Under general supervision, participates in police operations relating to patrol, traffic enforcement or safety, crime prevention, investigation, special details, or related police services; and performs other related duties as assigned.
12/23/2021 at 11:59 AM Pacific Time (US & Canada); Tijuana
• Receives Police Officer training in areas such as Federal, State, and local laws enforced by Police Officers, court decisions governing Police Officer actions, patrol procedures and techniques, arrest and booking procedures, physical restraint of persons, and related subject matter.
• Receives Police Officer training in traffic enforcement methods, such as observation method, citation practices, accident investigation procedures, and related subject matter.
• Receives Police Officer training in investigation techniques, report writing, court testimony procedures, and related subject matter.
• Performs academic activities and physical fitness exercises.
• Under close supervision, the Police Academy Trainee attends and successfully completes Police Officer training at a police academy.
• A typical way of obtaining the knowledge, skills and abilities outlined above in the Examples of Duties section is education and attending a basic Peace Officer Standards and Training Commission (POST) police academy.
• Ability to learn and understand law enforcement policies, rules, instructions, regulations, and police literature; use proper English; understand and follow oral and written instructions; learn the proper use and care of automobiles and small firearms; ability to remember names, faces, and details of incidents.
• Excellent customer service skills; be an effective communicator, both orally and in writing; have integrity and a commitment to excellence; have initiative to improve the organization; possess strong attention to detail and exceptional follow-through skills; take responsibility in carrying out decisions and providing leadership; and be a team-oriented professional that has excellent organizational and interpersonal skills.
• Possession of a valid Class C California driver's license and the ability to maintain insurability under the City's Vehicle Insurance Policy.
• Must possess High School diploma or GED equivalent.
• Must be 21 years of age or older at time of graduation or appointment to Police Officer position.
• Must be a citizen of the United States OR permanent resident alien who is eligible for and has already applied for citizenship.
• Must be of good character and reputation. Applicants will be fingerprinted and records checked in both State and Federal Bureaus. Applicants must not have a record of conviction of serious offense, or numerous convictions of minor offenses. Credit rating, if established, must be satisfactory.
• Vision: No more than 20/100 uncorrected and 20/30 corrected and freedom from uncorrectable color blindness. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, peripheral vision, color vision, and the ability to adjust focus.