GENERAL SUMMARY OF FUNCTION
A Patrol Officer performs required functions including but not limited to, and designed to: enhance the community, influence vehicular traffic, investigate criminal incidents, respond to request for police services, maintain peace and tranquility, and uphold the Constitution of the United States of America, State of Michigan and Township of Grosse Ile.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES
- Regular and predictable attendance.
- Enforces the Township ordinances, State and Federal laws (as applicable) while abiding by the General Orders of the Grosse Ile Police Department.
- Conduct preliminary investigations at incident scenes, interview suspects and witnesses, document and compose reports in a clear and concise manor, investigate and document traffic accidents and communicate/relay information to investigators.
- Patrol the community roadways observing conditions and taking enforcement action as needed.
- Attend court cases and testify as needed.
- Respond to fire, rescue and medical calls for service.
- Inform general public on laws and ordinances.
- Attend training classes relative to their duties.
- Act as jailer, searching, receiving and processing prisoners.
- Act as dispatcher when required.
- Perform other related work as required and/or directed by a superior officer.
- Interact with the public in a variety of situations.
- Minimum of high school diploma or GED equivalent.
- Meet physical and psychological standards set by the Police Commission, M.C.O.L.E.S. and as described in the Departments General Orders.
- At least 21 years old.
- Citizen of the United States and resident of the State of Michigan.
- C.O.L.E.S. certified or certifiable as a police officer.
- Willingness to work shift work including holidays and weekends.
- Ability to deescalate situations and prevent harm from occurring.