Performs police work involving the protection and safety of the city through prevention and control of crime, apprehension of offenders, preserving peace, regulating traffic, providing emergency services, enforcing federal, state and local laws, public service, and other municipal police services.
- Patrols the city to enforce criminal and traffic laws, detect and prevent crime, protect life and property, and to
resolve issues affecting the quality of life in the City.
- Enforces federal law, state statutes and city ordinances.
- Responds to complaints such as crimes in progress, trespass, fights, disturbance of the peace, domestics,
alarms, lost or stolen property, individuals in crisis, etc.
- Arrests persons for violations of laws and ordinances, conducts warrant checks and executes arrest warrants.
- Performs searches and maintains security of persons under control.
- Assists in criminal investigations including forensic evidence collection, photography, and interviews.
- Assists with traffic and accident investigations.
- Prepares and updates reports, logs, and other documents.
- Prepares cases, assists with preparation of criminal complaints and testifies in court.
- Responds to citizens’ requests for information or assistance.
- Performs routine traffic control activities such as directing traffic.
- Responds to medical emergencies and renders first aid.
- Maintains positive community relations by educating the public on crime prevention, delivering public informational/educational presentations, and participating in emergency planning meetings.
- Associates/Technical Degree in law enforcement, criminal justice or related field.
- Current Minnesota Peace Officer (POST) License or ability to be licensed upon hire.
- Valid MN Driver/s License.
- Knowledge of local, state and federal statutes, laws and ordinances relevant to department operations.
- Knowledge of modern law enforcement methods and procedures.
- Ability to handle a variety of duties under moderate supervision within standard operating procedures.
- Ability to effectively communicate, both orally and in writing, and have strong positive public relations skills
- Knowledge and skill with Microsoft Office, computer database operations, and digital devices.
- Rbility to perform widely varied work requiring moderate analytical ability.
- Ability to establish and maintain a positive and effective working relationship with businesses, schools, civic
groups, other agencies, the public and staff.
- Ability to respond 2417 /365 as necessary.
- Must obtain and maintain necessary licenses and certifications.