The purpose of this position is to protect and serve the property and citizens of the City. This is accomplished by patrolling the City, recognizing and citing offenses and making arrests where necessary. Other duties include promoting a secure environment, enforcing traffic laws, reporting motor vehicle accidents, investigating crimes, providing language translations to the department, maintaining positive community relations and interfacing with other City employees and citizens. Assist with the preparation of special events.
- Promotes a secure environment by patrolling the City and assigned districts; answering calls for service from citizens; deterring crime by presence; assisting in high risk situations; providing special surveillance operations; taking reports; operating police equipment; enforcing state, local laws, and City ordinances; subduing
combative or uncooperative citizens; making lawful arrests; and keeping the peace on civil scenes.
- Provides administrative and clerical support by preparing report and non-report paperwork and forms; maintaining vehicles; inspecting and maintaining personal equipment; logging evidence; reporting vehicle or equipment malfunctions; entering data into computer; and providing courtroom testimony.
- Participates in training by attending training classes; teaching training classes; and ensuring annual qualification with firearm.
- Work requires knowledge of a specific vocational, administrative, or technical nature that may be obtained with six-months/one year of advanced study or training past the high school equivalency. Community college, vocational, business, and technical or correspondence schools are likely sources. Appropriate certification may be awarded upon satisfactory completion of advanced study or training.
- Work requires a comprehensive, practical knowledge of a technical field with use of analytical judgment and decision-making abilities appropriate to the work environment of the organization.
- Ability to read papers, periodicals, journals, manuals, dictionaries, thesauruses, and encyclopedias. Ordinarily, such education is obtained in high school up to college. However, it may be obtained from experience and self-study.
- Basic Peace Officer Certificate ; Valid Driver’s License; Standardized Field Sobriety Test Practitioner.