Salary: $26.79 Hourly.
This union position is to maintain the greatest possible enforcement of Federal, State, and local laws and ordinances for the preservation of public peace, protection of property, prevention of crime and the arrest and conviction of violators. This is a law enforcement position with arrest powers. Work is performed in accordance with prescribed regulations and is reviewed by a supervisor.
- Work out of a patrol car in an assigned area of the county to prevent traffic accidents and deter violators by fair, consistent and courteous traffic law enforcement.
- Determine if violations of law have occurred, who is responsible and apprehend or arrest the specific violator.
- Make a thorough investigation of accidents and correctly record facts, enforce identified violation of the traffic code, assist the injured, protect the accident scene and restore normal flow of traffic as soon as possible.
- Record a clear and concise report of daily assignments, arrests and investigations. Completed reports should enable other officers or detectives to work from them and enable the District Attorney’s office to determine proper charges and testify in court proceedings if deemed necessary.
- Act pursuant to legal writ or warrant and safely transfer prisoners to or from the state prison system, mental health or juvenile facilities, and other law enforcement agencies according to the specific judicial order.
- Direct traffic, provide security measures, and determine whatever is necessary safety and order.
- Maintain radio or telephone contact with department personnel indicating their location and availability for calls and assignments.
- Thorough knowledge of city, village, town, county and state roads.
- Serve legal documents to residents of the county.
- Report road defects, obstructions and notify proper personnel of missing or damaged highway traffic signs.
- Ability to use firearms safely and MUST qualify for firearms courses offered throughout the year while continuing employment with the department.
- Ability to work under stress or pressure.
- Ability to handle and control prisoners.
- Work with all government entities throughout Adams County, State of Wisconsin and the United States of America including the FBI, DEA, U.S. Marshal Service, U.S. Postal Service, ATF, Homeland Security, Immigration and Custom Enforcement, State of Wisconsin Departments such as Crime Laboratories, Division of Criminal Investigations, State Patrol, Department of Natural Recourses and all county and municipal law enforcement agencies. He or she may have to occasionally work with out of State law enforcement agencies.
- Ability to respond to tragedies and/or emergency situations.
- Ability to make precise lifesaving decisions in matters related to life and property.
- Sensitive to group or individual tensions, unpredictable behavior and general signs of trouble that could result in injury.
- Exercise sound judgment in making instantaneous decisions which cannot be reviewed prior to implementation and which may subject the decision-maker to legal liabilities, including personal sanctions.
- May work in adverse conditions.
- Knowledge and ability to interpret and apply federal and state laws and county ordinances.
- Ability to collaborate with the District Attorney on prosecution cases.
- Ability to collect, verify and compile information in order to prepare required reports.
- Any other duties as assigned.
- Minimum of two year Associates/Technical degree in criminal justice, law enforcement, or a related area, or 60 credit hours from a college or university in Police Science, Criminal justice, or a related field.
- Must meet the WI Law Enforcement Standards Board requirements for law enforcement certification and maintain appropriate annual recertification requirements.
- Must have a valid WI Driver’s License.
- No felony convictions unless pardoned by the Governor.
- No domestic abuse convictions.
- Must satisfactorily complete all required training during the time period established by the Office.
- Must be able to possess a firearm.
- Must be able to react quickly and effectively to stressful situations.