Park Police Officer
4/28/2023 11:59 PM Central
Under general supervision, performs enforcement and security work in City Parks and Riverwalk activities. Enforces all applicable laws and ordinances and provides information pertaining to park use, safety requirements, and points of interest. Working conditions are inside and outside with occasional exposure to extreme weather conditions, hostile people, and emergency situations. Exercises no supervision.
Essential Job Functions
- Ensures the safety and protection of the users of the City’s parks and recreational resource facilities, visitors of the Riverwalk, and the City’s natural resources.
- Provides information and assistance to patrons and visitors pertaining to park usage and restrictions, safety requirements, general directions, and points of interest.
- Identifies and reports any safety hazards or hazardous conditions including flood control requirements, as well as any needed routine maintenance or repairs within assigned park areas.
- Issues citations and initiates arrests as needed, which involves handling firearms and police equipment, in response to violations of Federal, State, and local laws and City ordinances.
- Patrols parks and recreational areas, including the Riverwalk by a variety of transportation methods, including but not limited to patrol sedan, truck, SUV, bicycle, ATV, boat, and foot.
- Prepares reports as necessary.
- Performs related duties and fulfills responsibilities as required.
- High School Diploma or GED equivalent (recognized by the Texas Education Agency or a regional accrediting agency).
- Valid Class “C” Texas Driver’s License.
- Based on qualifications, applicants for this position may be required to pass the San Antonio Park Police Training program which may include the FTO program within six months of employment.
- Applicants for this position will be required to obtain an unrestricted Texas Peace Officer’s license (certification) issued by the Texas Commission on Law Enforcement Officer Standards and Education (TCLEOSE) prior to the start date of employment.
- Must pass a Criminal Justice Information Systems (CJIS) fingerprint-based background check and maintain CJIS eligibility. Due to CJIS requirements related to system access, the following will result in being disqualified for this position: Felony Convictions, Felony Deferred Adjudication, Class A & B Misdemeanor Deferred Adjudication, Class B Misdemeanor Convictions, an Open Arrest for Any Criminal Offense (Felony or Misdemeanor) and Family Violence Convictions.
- Experience as a Peace Officer.