Non-Certified Police Officer
Performs a variety of law enforcement functions on behalf of the City’s Police Department; patrols assigned areas of the City; detects and deters criminal activity; participates in criminal investigations; conducts traffic enforcement duties; provides information and assistance to the public; prepares law enforcement records and documentation; and performs other related duties as assigned. May be assigned to a specialized function or area of responsibility.
$53,990.30 – $74,219.60 Annually
- Provides for the protection of life and property within the community and the enforcement of local, State, and Federal laws, regulations, codes, and ordinances.
- Conducts a variety of law enforcement duties including patrol, traffic enforcement, criminal investigations, and/or special details.
- Patrols assigned areas of the City including residential, commercial, and industrial areas; conducts security checks of homes and businesses.
- Detects and deters criminal activity within the community including but not limited to burglary, theft, robbery, and narcotic trafficking; conducts surveillance/undercover work as assigned.
- Participates in criminal investigations; processes crime scenes; documents, collects, and preserves evidence; interviews victims and witnesses; interrogates suspects.
- Responds to calls for police service involving criminal activity, accidents, or other incidents; assists the Fire Department, EMS, and outside agencies in response efforts.
- Performs traffic enforcement duties; identifies moving violations, initiates traffic stops, and issues citations accordingly; investigates DWI's and traffic accidents; directs traffic.
- Apprehends and/or arrests offenders; transports individuals to jail facilities; books prisoners. Interacts with and provides assistance to citizens and the general public; responds to inquiries regarding a variety of law enforcement matters.
- Prepares and maintains various types of law enforcement documentation including but not limited to offense reports, arrest documents, and probable cause sheets.
- Cleans and maintains assigned law enforcement vehicles and equipment.
- Attends and participates in a variety of meetings and in-service training sessions.
- Performs other related duties as assigned or required.
- High School Diploma or equivalent; no experience is required as this is an entry-level position.
- Two years of experience may be required before assignment to specialized function or area of responsibility.
- Basic Texas Peace Officer License is required at time of employment.
- Must possess a valid Texas Driver's License.
Physical Demands/Work Environment
Work is performed in a law enforcement environment. Subject to sitting, standing, walking, bending, reaching, kneeling, crouching, crawling, operating law enforcement vehicles, pursuing/apprehending suspects, and lifting of objects up to 50 pounds. Exposure to variable weather conditions, traffic hazards, crime/accident scenes, firearms, hazardous materials and chemicals, infectious diseases, blood borne pathogens, and potentially aggressive/violent members of the public is involved. Possess 20/20 vision, either corrected or uncorrected in each eye. Uncorrected vision cannot exceed 20/100 in each eye, unless vision is corrected by means of contact lenses or eyeglasses, which must be worn on duty and during all enforcement activities. Must be free from dichromatic color blindness, night blindness and any other visual deficiency or limitation. Possess hearing with less than 30 Db loss, either corrected or uncorrected in each ear. Uncorrected hearing cannot exceed 60 Db in each ear.