Non-Certified Police Officer
Performs police patrol, investigation, traffic regulation, and related activities in the protection of life and property through the enforcement of laws and ordinances.
$24.78 – $28.50 Hourly
• Regular attendance is required to perform the duties of this position. Works on rotating shifts performing security patrols, traffic control, investigation and first aid at accidents, detection, investigation and arrest of persons involved in crimes or misconduct. Works on assigned shift using own judgment in deciding course of action, expected to handle difficult and emergency situations without assistance. Works mandatory extra duty assignments as needed.
• Maintains normal availability by radio or telephone for consultation on major emergencies or precedent. Carries out duties in conformance with Federal, State and City laws and ordinances.
• Patrols city streets, parks, commercial and residential areas to preserve the peace and enforce the law.
• Prevent or detect and investigate misconduct involving misdemeanors, felonies and other law violations and to otherwise serve and protect.
• Responds to emergency radio calls and investigates accidents, robberies, civil disturbances, domestic disputes, fights, drunkenness, missing children, prowlers, abuse of drugs, etc. Takes appropriate law enforcement action.
• Interrogates suspects, witnesses and drivers.
• Preserves evidence, arrests violators, investigates and renders assistance at scenes of vehicular accidents.
• Summons ambulances and other law enforcement vehicles.
• Takes measurements and draws diagrams of scene.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Graduation from an accredited high school or equivalent required. Two-year community college degree or vocational school training in police science, law enforcement, criminal justice administration, public administration, or a related field preferred.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
• General knowledge of modern law enforcement principles, procedures, techniques, and equipment.
• Ability to learn the applicable laws, ordinances, and department rules and regulations.
• Ability to perform work requiring good physical condition and ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing.
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with subordinates, peers and supervisors; Ability to exercise sound judgment in evaluating situations and in making decisions; Ability to follow verbal and written instructions.
• Ability to meet the special requirements listed below.
• Ability to learn the city's geography.
• Skill in operation of listed tools and equipment.
• Must meet New Mexico Department of Public Safety requirements for the position.
LICENSING AND CERTIFICATIONS
• Valid State issued Driver's License
• CPR/First Aid certification
• Residency requirement: Take home vehicles will be provided for officers who permanently reside within the 5 mile planning radius of the City. Employees hired after the ratification date of this agreement who reside outside of the 5 mile radius of the City will not be provided a take home vehicle.