Lateral Police Officer
City of Maricopa Police Department
Department: Police Department
First review of applications will be on the close of business Monday, October 5, 2015.
The attached AZPOST application must be notarized, and submitted with your application in order to be considered for any additional testing.
Successful candidates in prescreening interview will be required to pass a Physical and Written exam through NTN. See below for the testing requirements.
Due to the high level of interest we are unable to respond to individual job applicants. Please read the application instructions; only complete applications will be considered.
The City of Maricopa is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the City will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages both prospective and current employees to discuss potential accommodations with the employer.
Management’s vision is “to be open, responsive and accountable while serving the public with integrity.”
The following duties are normal for this position. The omission of specific statements of the duties does not exclude them from the classification if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment for this position. Other duties may be required, assigned, and expected commensurate with the administrative needs of a City. This is a FLSA- Non-Exempt position.
The job of a Maricopa Police Officer is “To ensure safety and security for each person in our community through proactive, progressive and professional law enforcement services,” and to adhere to the core values and code of ethics put forth by the Department.
- Performs general duty and investigative police work in the protection of life and property through crime prevention and the enforcement of laws and ordinances.
- The principal function of an employee in this class is to enforce state and local laws and ordinances, respond to calls for the protection of life and property, conduct criminal and non-criminal investigations, make arrests and to perform other assigned law enforcement and public safety duties.
- Duties normally consist of patrol and traffic activities in the city on an assigned shift.
- Officers may be delegated to assignments in specialized areas such as neighborhood services, community services, criminal investigations services, administration, or other assignment. Work is performed under the general direction of a supervising Sergeant.
- Considerable latitude is granted to the employee but work is subject to periodic performance audits and annual evaluations.
- The principal duties of this class are performed in both a general office environment and an outdoor environment that may include exposure to adverse weather conditions and to potential personal danger.
Essential Duties are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills. They are intended to be accurate summaries of what the job classification involves and what is required to perform it. Employees are responsible for all other duties as assigned.
- Enforces state and local laws and ordinances.
- Patrols assigned areas of the City in a car, bicycle, motorcycle, or on foot.
- Maintains community presence and/or responds to calls for service and takes appropriate action.
- Responds to calls related to the protection of life and property, traffic incidents, and other public safety emergencies.
- Responds to patrol calls which include domestic incidents, burglaries, juvenile disturbances, health and welfare assists, civil standby, business and residential alarms, thefts, traffic accidents, civil protection order/no contact order violations, bomb threats, hazardous material spills, and other public and life safety incidents.
- Determines the existence of probable cause and identifies and takes suspects and offenders into physical custody, or refers charges for review and prosecution.
- Prepares reports of arrests made, activities performed, and unusual incidents observed.
- Completes reports and other related documents in a timely manner.
- Conducts both preliminary and follow-up investigations and collects evidence in disturbances, criminal incidents, hazardous incidents, vehicle accidents, and deaths.
- Verbally interacts with witnesses and victims, suspects, and offenders to obtain information.
- Conducts examinations of persons, vehicles, premises, or areas to determine the presence of individuals or illegal activities or articles.
- Takes suspect or offender into custody and delivers them to appropriate confinement location, maintaining security and safety of individuals being moved from one location to another.
- Performs self-initiated patrol consisting of traffic stops, patrolling high crime areas of the City, warrant arrests, drug interdictions, DUI emphasis patrol, seat belt emphasis, juvenile drinking emphasis, and other relevant law enforcement activities.
- Coordinates and conducts detailed investigations of violent crimes, child abuse, property crimes, vice, gaming, and narcotics violations.
- Performs all work duties and activities in accordance with City and Department policies and procedures.
- Works in a safe manner and reports unsafe activity and conditions. Follows City-wide safety policy and practices and adheres to responsibilities concerning safety prevention, reporting and monitoring as outlined in the City's Safety Handbook.
- May serve in other specialized areas such as neighborhood services, community services, criminal investigations section, administrative services, or other assignment.
- Performs undercover surveillance activities.
- Develops and maintains good relationships with informants and contacts which may be helpful in criminal investigations.
- Prepares search and arrest warrants.
- Contacts and cooperates with other law enforcement and non-law enforcement agencies in matters relating to the apprehension of offenders and the investigation of offenses.
- Works rotating shifts, weekends, and holidays.
- Other duties as assigned.