Lateral Police Officer
NOTE: Special Application Instructions
- Entry Level Police Officer candidates. The City of Olympia uses Public Safety Testing (PST) as the initial step for hiring entry-level police officers. Persons interested in applying for police officer positions should visit the PST website athttp://www.publicsafetytesting.com/ to begin the process. Payment of a fee is required.
- Advanced Entry candidates submit an online application, by clicking on the “Apply” link at the top right above.
- The Olympia Police Department is currently hiring for four vacancies and will continue to take applications until the positions are filled.
Under general supervision, performs general duty police work to enforce the law, preserve public safety and order, and apprehend offenders.
The ideal candidate will:
- Cope with a variety of situations with tact, discretion, courtesy and respect.
- Prepare accurate, timely, and comprehensive reports.
- Speak to individuals and groups.
- Maintain composure and take responsible action during stressful and dangerous situations.
- Follow both, written and verbal instruction.
If you have questions about the position and/or requirements, please contact Sergeant Rich Allen, at (360)753-8419 or via email at email@example.com.
The information contained in this classification specification is a representative sample of essential and other functions performed in this classification. Specific essential functions are identified for position recruitment or other administrative procedures.
- Police Officers are employed at three distinct levels:
- Police Officer - Recruit
- Police Officer - Academy Graduate
- Police Officer - Advanced Entry
The levels are distinguished as follows:
Police Officer - Recruit:
- Requires no prior Police experience.
- Police Officer - Recruits are employed at a rate 10% below step A of the salary range for Police Officer.
- When recruits complete FTO training and are capable of independently performing assigned police duties, they advance to step A of the salary range.
- As a condition of employment Police Officer Recruits are required to attend and successfully complete the law enforcement training academy approved by the Washington State Criminal Justice Training Commission (WSCJTC) within 6 months of hire.
Police Officer - Academy Graduate:
- Requires graduation from an approved law enforcement training academy prior to appointment.
- Police Officer - Academy Graduates are employed at a rate 10% below step A of the salary range for Police Officer.
- When Academy Graduates complete FTO training and are capable of independently performing assigned police duties, they advance to step A of the salary range.
- Graduation from an approved law enforcement training academy and ability to meet standards prescribed by the Washington State Criminal Justice Training Commission for equivalency is required.
Police Officer - Advanced Entry:
- Requires prior police experience and graduation from an approved law enforcement training academy prior to appointment.
- Police Officers - Advanced Entry who complete their FTO training are expected to independently perform assigned police duties.
- Candidates who completed a law enforcement academy outside of Washington State are responsible for establishing equivalency, according to standards prescribed by the WSCJTC after appointment.
Examples of Duties:
- Patrols designated area of the City during an assigned shift in a patrol car, on a motorcycle or on foot.
- Responds to calls for police assistance or investigation; establishes and maintains control of persons and traffic at the scene; provides protection of life and property, conducts preliminary investigations, gathers evidence, takes statements, issues citations and makes arrests.
- Prepares written reports in accordance with departmental policies and procedures, including case, complaint and shift reports.
- Appears personally in court and testifies as witness or arresting officer.
- Prepares and presents oral presentations as a public service to schools, community action groups and the general public.
- Punctual, regular and reliable attendance is essential for successful job performance.