Lateral Police Officer
Salary: $72,768.00 – $93,000.00 Annually
About the City
McMinnville is an easy-going, forward-thinking city nestled in the heart of Oregon’s Willamette Valley. The American Planning Association has recognized our historic downtown as one of its prestigious Great Streets in America. McMinnville’s central location means our nearly 35,000 residents aren’t far from the scenic Oregon Coast, our state capitol, the metro area (professional sports, cultural, and other activities), and tremendous outdoor activities, such as the slopes of Mt. Hood. Home to world-class pinot noir and other varietals, McMinnville attracts winemakers and food and wine tourists from around the globe. Whether it’s a glass of wine or a cup of coffee on our beloved Third Street or a bike ride through the Willamette Valley, there is always something fun to do in McMinnville.
There is an abundance of opportunities for families of all types in McMinnville. Our school district boasts an impressive high school graduation rate of over 90%, and there are plenty of nearby opportunities locally for higher education at Chemeketa Community College and Linfield University (one of our nation’s most respected small universities) or nearby George Fox University, Pacific University, Willamette University, and Western Oregon University. Childcare is available at a variety of privately managed daycare and preschool centers throughout the area, with local public school after school programs. Our city also offers plenty of senior services through Yamhill County, Northwest Senior & Disability Services, and our own McMinnville Senior Center.
The City of McMinnville has a supportive Mayor, City Council, City Manager, staff, and community. Our Council-Manager form of government ensures we deliver on the City Council’s priorities with best practices in city management. McMinnville is a full-service city with approximately 175 FTE providing a broad range of public services including police and fire protection; ambulance services; municipal court; wastewater treatment; street maintenance; engineering and planning; building permitting and inspection; parks, recreational and cultural activities, a library, and a municipal airport. We have a statewide reputation for financial stability and effective governance.
About the Department
McMinnville is a kind and caring community that places extraordinary levels of trust in its officers; we set the bar high for professionalism, accountability, and service to our 35,000 residents and numerous food and wine tourists who visit our city. Our department’s leadership team guides the four patrol squads, a special investigation division, and non-sworn employees in property & evidence and records to embody our values of excellence, service, integrity, dedication, and humility.
Essential Job Functions
About the Job
The City of McMinnville is looking for lateral (certified) police officers to join our team. Lateral police officers perform law enforcement and crime prevention work including discovery, investigation, report preparation, and patrol to enforce federal, state, and local laws. This position may oversee program areas that require additional specialized training.
Salary will be determined based on experience and eligibility for certificate and incentive pay. The current base salary range for this position (without any additional certifications and incentive pay) is $72,768 – $93,000.
The following shall be applied to base salary upon hire as applicable/assigned:
- 2% incentive for Associate’s Degree
- 4% incentive for Bachelor’s Degree
- 4% incentive for DPSST Intermediate Certification
- 8% incentive for DPSST Advanced Certification
- 5% incentive for Bilingual in Spanish (street level fluency)
- 10% incentive for Court Certified Bilingual in Spanish
- 5% incentive for ASL Certification
- 5% incentive for Detective/Sergeant Assignment
- 5% incentive for School Resource Officer Assignment
- 8.5% incentive for K-9
- 5% incentive for Police Training Officer
- 5% incentive for Motorcycle Duty
- 5% incentive for Officer in Charge
Note: There is no cap on the total incentive pays you can earn.
Qualifications for the Job
As a McMinnville police officer, you will be looked to as a leader in the community. You must exhibit the following qualities or attributes to be considered for this position:
- Effective communication
- Strong writing skills
- Self-control and ability to remain calm
- Ability to build relationships within the department and in the community
- A sense of ethics
- A service mentality
- Ability to work within a team
To be successful in this recruitment you must be (or be able to become via transfer) a certified Police Officer through the Oregon Department of Public Safety Standards and Training.
Applying for the Job
To apply for this opportunity please complete the online job application and supplemental personal history questions. A resume and cover letter are not required.
You will be evaluated based on your application, responses to the supplemental questions, and an interview with the department. To reduce travel time and expenses, a virtual interview may be an option. If offered the position, you will be subject to a thorough background evaluation including psychological and physical exams. Lateral hires are not required to complete written or ORPAT testing to get an interview.
This recruitment is considered open until filled with a first review on November 21st. For best consideration, please submit your application by November 20th, 2022. If you have any questions about the recruitment process, the McMinnville Police Department, or the City of McMinnville please contact Captain Scott Fessler.
As a qualified lateral police officer, you will be eligible for:
- A $6,000 hiring bonus (paid in 3 installments)
- Health/Dental/Vision Insurance through Oregon Teamsters Employers Trust
- Voluntary Employees’ Beneficiary Association (HRA-VEBA)
- Flexible Spending Account
- Life Insurance (City Paid and Supplemental)
- Long-term disability Insurance
- 11 Paid holidays and an additional 36 hours of discretionary leave time
- Vacation leave.
- Accrual rates are determined based on years of service and new employees receive partial credit for years of service in similar positions.
- Sick leave
- 457(b) deferred compensation plans
- Employer-paid participation in the State of Oregon Public Employees Retirement System (PERS.)
- Voluntary mental health check-ups and a Peer Support Team comprised of caring and supportive coworkers to ensure you have the tools to manage your mental and emotional health in this demanding profession.
- Employee assistance program
- Access to outdoor shooting range when off-duty
- Free employee passes to the McMinnville aquatic center and community center
- Up to $400 annual physical fitness incentive
- Representation by the Teamsters Local Union No. 223.
- Other benefits outlined in the Collective Bargaining Agreement (Download PDF reader).
The City of McMinnville is proud to hire veterans. Applicants are eligible to use Veteran’s Preference when applying with the City of McMinnville in accordance with ORS 408.225, 408.230 and 408.235; and OAR 105-040-0010 and 105-040-0015. Military personnel who expect to be honorably discharged from the military within 120 days of certifying veteran status on this job application, may also request preference. Preference will only be given if the applicant meets the minimum qualifications and any special qualifications for the position and electronically attach the required documentation at the time of application. DOCUMENTS REQUIRED:
- MEMBER COPY 4 of the Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty (DD Form 214 or 215) – OR – Letter from the US Dept. of Veterans Affairs indicating a non-service-connected pension.
- Disabled Veterans must also submit a copy of their Veterans disability preference letter from the Department of Veterans Affairs.
- You can request copies of your military service record through the National Archives website at: http://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records
For information regarding Veteran’s Preference qualifications, visit the following website: https://www.oregon.gov/boli/workers/Pages/veterans-preference.aspx
The City of McMinnville is an Equal Opportunity Employer and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any kind. We are committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at the City of McMinnville are based on business needs, job requirements, and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, age, religion or belief, gender, sexual orientation, ability, family or parental status, or any other status protected by state and federal law. We do not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics.
Applicants with disabilities who need a reasonable accommodation (e.g., assistive listening devices) to participate in the recruitment and/or selection process should contact Vicki Hedges, Human Resources Manager.