Lateral Police Officer Two Week Rotational Position
Dillingham is located in southwest Alaska in Bristol Bay at the confluence of the Wood and Nushagak Rivers. Dillingham is located approximately 327 air miles from Anchorage. Dillingham has a year-round population of 2,400 people. The population swells to over 5,000 people during the summer commercial fishing season. The Nushagak district is an important commercial fishing district, in the world’s largest salmon fishery, Bristol Bay.
The Dillingham Police are responsible for general patrol, traffic enforcement, and criminal investigations. Investigative duties range from simple misdemeanor crimes to complex felony investigations. The police activity varies throughout the year. During the summer commercial fishing season, with the large influx of fisheries related persons, officers handle increased call volume. This busy period is exciting and provides excellent experience and opportunities for an officer to hone their craft. In the winter months activity slows down, but is steady enough to keep the job interesting.
The Dillingham Police is a small, tight knit department. Dispatch, patrol, and corrections are all located in the same building and all work together to accomplish the mission of providing public safety services to the community.
This two week rotational schedule, with round-trip airfare to Anchorage, a subsidized city apartment, and a substantial sign-up bonus. The lateral officer can live anywhere in the U.S.A. and work at the Dillingham Police Department.
This position is for lateral officers, current certified, or able to be certified in Alaska or another state, per Alaska Police Standards Council regulations.
- Enforce local, State, and federal laws
- Conduct routine patrol, traffic enforcement, and emergency response
- Conduct investigations and apprehend suspects
- Complete reports and testify in court proceedings
- 21 years of age
- US citizen
- High school diploma or GED
- No felony or serious misdemeanor convictions
- Must be a current police officer, or have attended a qualifying police academy , either in Alaska or out-of-state
- Meet minimum reciprocity standards of Alaska Police Standards Council for lateral hire
- Must attend a 2 week lateral hire academy
Wages and Benefits
- $30.18 an hour + overtime opportunities
- Fully-paid medical, dental, and vision insurance for employee
- PERS retirement system
- 13 paid holidays per year
- 18 days personal leave per year
- 12 days sick leave per year
- Paid life insurance
- Optional 457 pension plan
- PSEA union membership
- Sign-up bonus $5,000
Two Week Rotational Benefits
- Officers work fourteen 12 hour days, totaling 168 hours per month
- Officers then have two weeks off
- City pays for monthly round trip airfare to Anchorage
- City provides a subsidized apartment for officers
Applicants are required to fill out and return the following forms located on the www.dillinghamak.us website:
- City of Dillingham employment application
- APSC F-3 Personal History Statement form
- AML/JIA background check release form