Lateral Entry Police Officers
The mission of the Vernon Hills Police Department is to protect life and property; preserve a peaceful community; prevent, detect, and investigate crimes; justly enforce laws; and protect the rights of all persons.
To fulfill our mission, we are committed to:
• Acknowledging our responsibility to the citizens of Vernon Hills, our source of authority
• Performing our duties within the spirit and the letter of our laws and constitution
• Remaining sensitive to human needs and treating people with respect, compassion, and dignity
• Approaching each situation as unique and responding with empathy and prudent discretion
• Promoting mutual trust between the department, citizens and other community institutions
• Enhancing safety and a feeling of security for our residents
• Fostering a quality work environment that encourages open communications and affords trust, respect, and support for each member
• Promoting professional development and growth of each member
Open Until Filled
• Full-time State of Illinois certification by the Illinois Law Enforcement Training and Standards Board (ILETSB).
Part-time certification as a law enforcement officer, corrections officer certification, or military law enforcement training does not meet this requirement
• Experience – at least 2 years of continuous experience as a full time sworn with successful completion of probationary period, having worked as a full-time certified law enforcement officer within the last 3 years.
• Valid Driver’s License
• Education – High School Diploma or GED and at least 60 hours of study at an accredited institution of higher learning.