Experienced/Lateral Police Officer
2023 BASE SALARY (depending on experience):
$86,976.00- $113,220.00 annually
Positions in this class are responsible for general duty police work involving the protection of life and property, the enforcement of laws and ordinances, prevention and investigation of crimes, and maintenance of order within a designated area on an assigned shift, in patrol car, motorcycle, bicycle other conveyance for which training has been received, or on foot.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Responds to emergency and routine calls for service.
- Performs computer inquiries from the patrol vehicle and stationary terminals.
- Documents, thoroughly and clearly, incidents and actions by writing case reports, field interview cards, maintaining daily logs and preparing other related reports.
- Patrols designated area of city in police vehicle, on foot patrol, bicycle patrol and/or other conveyances on an assigned shift; patrols business and residential districts to provide an element of safety by obvious visibility; looking for crimes or potential crimes in progress.
- Acts as primary investigator of all crimes occurring within assigned areas during duty hours. Makes on scene arrests when warranted. Uses varying degrees of physical force to overcome resisting suspects and to protect himself/herself and others from injury.
- Pursues fleeing suspects on foot and in vehicles. Performs rescue and pursuit operations which may involve quickly entering and exiting patrol vehicles; climbing over and pulling oneself up over obstacles; jumping down from elevated surfaces; climbing through openings; jumping over obstacles, ditches and streams; and using physical force to gain entry through barriers.
- Takes immediate action to remedy hazards and protect life and property. Must be physically able to hear conversations, instructions and common warnings. Must have adequate vision to effectively perform these functions in hours of darkness or low light.
- Investigates and/or handles complaints involving family disputes, juveniles disputes, mentally disabled persons; provides first aid and cardiopulmonary resuscitation to injured persons.
MINIMUM EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
Graduation from a standard high school, or a General Education Diploma (GED) or the equivalent. Applicants for the Lateral positions shall have successfully completed a state law enforcement academy training program and been employed as a commissioned full-time general authority law enforcement officer with a municipal, county, or state law enforcement agency with a break in service not longer than five (5) years.
LICENSES AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS:
- United States citizen or permanent resident.
- Not less that 21 years of age at the time of hire.
- Ability to fluently read and write the English language, using proper grammar, spelling and punctuation.
- Must meet minimum medical and health standards adopted by the Civil Service Commission.
- Positions in this class must meet Civil Service Rules and Regulations.
- Must possess a Washington State Drivers License or ability to obtain one.
- Firearms qualification quarterly; CPR re-certification yearly; BAC verifier certification; WASIC certification – Access training.
- Successful completion of the Washington State Criminal Justice Training Commission’s basic law enforcement academy or equivalency academy, within the time frame required by Washington State Law.