Entry Level Police Officers
$57,322.00 – $73,854.00 Annually
This position performs law enforcement and crime prevention duties including patrol and investigations. Enforces federal, state, and local laws, regulations, ordinances, and codes.
FUNCTIONS, DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Patrols a designated work shift that will vary from time-to-time. Maintains continuous availability by radio and/or telephone while working a shift. Conducts automobile and foot patrol, traffic control, investigation, and first-aid duties at incidents or accidents.
- Patrols city streets, parks, commercial and residential areas to deter crime, preserve peace, and enforce the law, control vehicular traffic, prevent or detect and investigate misconduct and law violations.
- Responds to calls and reports of possible crime and takes initial action as situations require for securing the scene. Responds to emergency calls for a variety of incidents such as, but not limited to, accidents, civil disturbances, domestic disturbances, missing children, prowlers, etc. Ensures that calls for ambulance and other assistance are made.
- Interviews and interrogates available victims, witnesses, and suspects. Completes incident and arrest reports.
- Gathers and preserves evidence. Describes and documents the scene of the incident to include measurements, photographs, and descriptions. Analyzes and evaluates evidence and arrests or issues citations to offenders.
- Conducts follow-up investigations of incidents and crimes during the assigned work shift. Locates and interviews victims, witnesses, and suspects. Develops leads. Searches the scene of the incident for additional evidence. Documents and prepares cases for arrest and legal proceedings.
- Participates in the investigation of criminal law violations. Gathers crime scene evidence and compiles information to support investigations. Prepares cases for filing of charges, court testifying, and related uses.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Possess a high school diploma or GED certificate. 21 or over, must have valid local driver’s license. DPSST Basic Certificate upon hire or within the probationary period.
Prior law enforcement and/or college degree in related field preferred; OR any equivalent combination of education, training, and experience. Any combination of education and experience that has provided the knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform the essential duties of this position. Other equivalent combinations of education, training or have served in the military with an Honorable Discharge or any equivalent combination of Law Enforcement work experience will be considered.