Entry Level Police Officer
The City of North Las Vegas is excited to announce a continuous (ongoing) recruitment for the position of Entry Police Officer! Candidates will be notified of their status at various times throughout the recruitment process. Please thoroughly review the information and selection process outlined on this announcement. This posting will close September 4, 2023, or earlier depending on operational needs.
- Submit a complete application – For your application to be considered, you MUST fully complete an online application, and answer ALL questions. Select “Apply for Job” at the top of this announcement and click “SUBMIT” at the end of your application.
- Shift work required – This position supports an operation that is open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. You must be able to work any shift (days, swings, or graveyard), and any day of the week, to including weekends, holidays, and overtime. Currently, the schedule consists of 10-hour shifts and are divided into two squads with days off being Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday, or Thursday, Friday, and Saturday.
- Must successfully complete probation – The 18 month probation period, which includes six months in the Police Academy and six months in the Field Training Program. Employees will be required to learn, memorize, and apply material, including self-study of material. Employees will be evaluated on a daily basis.
- Pay considerations – The starting hourly pay for this position is $28.02 (step 1). All new employees hired for this position will start at step 1 of the range, no exceptions. Existing employees will receive increases as outlined by their bargaining agreement.
- Background and Disqualifiers – Applicants who proceed in the selection process will be required to complete an extensive police background check. Among other items, the following are disqualifying behaviors –
- Any felony conviction.
- Any domestic violence conviction.
- Gross misdemeanor and misdemeanor convictions will be reviewed on a case by case basis.
- Although there have been recent changes to laws regarding the legal possession and consumption of marijuana, the City of North Las Vegas will continue to adhere to its professional standards and guidelines as it relates to recent and continuous use of the drug.
For more information about the position, including the essential functions, physical and mental abilities required, and the working conditions, please click here: Police Officer Job Description
Education and Experience:
- Must be at least 21 years of age at time of filing.
- Must have a high school diploma or GED at time of filing.
- Must be a U.S. Citizen at time of filing.
Licenses and Certifications:
- Ability to obtain a Nevada P.O.S.T. Police Officer Certification (within established state time frame).
- Must possess a valid and current state driver’s license at time of application. Must possess a valid and current NV state driver’s license at time of hire and maintain satisfactory motor vehicle record for duration of employment.
1. National Testing Network comprehensive test; To test for this position, visit www.NationalTestingNetwork.com
2. Physical Fitness Test
3. Background Investigation
Includes an extensive background check, polygraph/CVSA examination, medical/drug screen exam. All top scoring candidates must pass the Background Investigation in order to move forward in the process.
5. Conditional Offer Letters
4. Psychological and Medical Evaluations
5. Official Offers
BACKGROUND PROCESS & PRE EMPLOYMENT REQUIREMENTS
Candidates for this position are subject to pre-employment screenings and employment is contingent upon these results. Pre-employment screenings may include but are not limited to: local, state, and federal criminal history checks, and may require submission of fingerprints; drug screen; and physical examinations to include a psychological evaluation.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
All selected candidates will start at Step 1 with an hourly rate of $28.02.
The City of North Las Vegas offers a comprehensive benefit package that includes:
- Comprehensive group health insurance plan
- Disability insurance
- Dental, vision, and life insurance options
- Vacation, Sick leave, and excellent retirement benefits
- Bilingual pay (testing required)