Entry Level Police Officer
The City and County of San Francisco invites you to join a highly respected police department and serve the citizens of one of the most beautiful cities in the country. San Francisco Police Officers perform a wide variety of duties to promote public safety and security, prevent crime and enforce the law. Police officers perform a number of essential functions. For example, they patrol districts to prevent and detect crime; respond to calls for assistance; conduct criminal investigations; interact with the community to build cooperation and support; pursue and arrest suspects; enforce traffic and parking laws; write reports and maintain records; work with superiors, peers, and others as a team; prepare for and participate in planned events; prepare for court and give testimony; and fulfill other administrative duties when required. This is much more than a job; it is an opportunity to build a career of which you can be proud.
How to Prepare for the Written Test
Applicants take the Frontline Police Test. This is a three part exam lasting 2-hours. Learn how to prepare for the Frontline Police Test.
Working Conditions and Benefits
A Police Officer works 40 hours per week on different shifts and overtime may be required. San Francisco offers excellent benefits and the current starting salary is $80,574 per year. After seven years of service a Police Officer may earn up to $112,164 per year. You will receive comprehensive training, at your full starting salary, which includes 31 weeks at the Police Academy prior to field training at one of the district stations.
APPLICATION AND SELECTION PROCEDURES
First, complete and submit an online application with the City and County of San Francisco. To do so, follow the steps below:
- Click on “Apply” at the top of this job announcement, then read and acknowledge the information
- Select either “I am a New User” if you have not registered before, or “I have Registered Previously”
- Note: You will need to use an e-mail address for login purposes. Use an email address that you will maintain throughout the examination process to receive all official communications
- Follow instructions on the screen
- After submitting your application online, you will receive an e-mail acknowledging receipt of the application. If you have questions regarding the online application process, please contact Jen Lo by email to Jen.Lo@sfgov.org.
- Computer kiosks are available for the public (from 8:00am to 5:00pm Monday through Friday) to file online applications in the lobby of the Department of Human Resources at 1 South Van Ness Avenue, 4th Floor, San Francisco.
ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS (verified during Background Investigation)
- Applicants must be United States citizens.
- Applicants must be at least 20 years old when they take the examination and at least 21 years of age by the time of appointment. (Civil Service Rule 210.10)
- Applicants must possess and maintain a valid driver license to operate an automobile at the time of application and throughout the selection process. Possession of a valid California Driver License is required prior to the date of hire.
- Applicants must be a U.S. High School Graduate or have passed a G.E.D. or the California High School Proficiency Examination or have an AA or higher degree from an accredited college or university.
Judicial Record: Applicants must NOT have been:
- Convicted of a felony.
- Convicted of an offense involving domestic violence.
- Convicted of any misdemeanor that carries a penalty of prohibiting ownership, possession or control of a firearm; or
- Restricted from employment with the City and County of San Francisco.