Entry Level Police Officer
Salary: $62,774 to start.
Closing Date: Nov 1, 2024.
- Patrols on foot, on bicycle, or in car an assigned area to prevent and detect violations of laws and ordinances.
- Maintains order and protects life and property.
- Makes arrests for violations of law.
- Facilitates arrests and uses force or defends against the use of force as is required.
- Testifies in court in regard to matters of which s/he has knowledge.
- Investigates accidents and offenses against law and order.
- Makes reports and keeps accurate records.
- Directs traffic and operates traffic signals.
- Observes and recognizes people, vehicles, and places being able to accurately describe them.
- Hears and understands ordinary conversation with each ear.
- Does related work as required.
- Works under the immediate supervision of a Police Sergeant or other superior officer who reviews performance frequently for completeness and conformance with orders and regulations.
- 21 years of age.
- Citizen of the United States.
- Graduation from high school, technical school, or an equivalent as certified by the State Department of Education.
- Applicants must be of good character.
- Applicants who have been convicted of a felony or who have been dishonorably discharged from any police or fire department or from the Armed Forces of the United States are ineligible.
- A thorough investigation of character and of all statements in the application will be made before any applicant is considered for appointment.
- Applicants must have the ability to follow oral and written instructions, the ability to read and write in English without difficulty, the ability to make clear and concise written reports and the ability to deal tactfully and courteously with the general public and others.
- Permanent residence subsequent to appointment must be established in CT by the time of appointment.
- Weight must be in proportion to height.
- Must have considerable agility and be free from disease or abnormality that impairs one’s ability to perform the essential functions of this position.
- Must have normal color vision and vision shall be correctable to 20/20 in each eye.
- Must have no significant defects of the ear.
- Must be a non-smoker.
- Upon a conditional offer of employment, physical, psychological, and polygraph examinations will be required.
- Must have a valid driver’s license.
- Applicants must successfully pass a COOPER Physical Agility test at the 50th percentile hosted by the Colchester Police.
- Applicants must obtain a Medical Waiver (provided) signed by their Doctor to be able to participate.