Entry Level Police Officer
Salary range: $6,679.00 – $8,951.00.
Open Until Filled
The Vancouver Police Department strives to be a full service organization with challenging opportunities in police work for individuals who are interested in providing quality law enforcement services to the public. Its officers are charged with protecting life and property through the enforcement of laws and ordinances including the prevention, detection and investigation of crimes and civil infractions and exercising of arresting authority.
Although most assignments will be patrol, experienced officers have the opportunity for special assignments in areas such as SWAT, Traffic, Detectives, Canine, Narcotics, Gangs, and Child Abuse.
The patrol schedule allows generous days off. Officers work 10 ½ hour shifts on a 5/4, 5/4, 5/5 schedule (on/off). Most specialty assignments enjoy a 4/10 schedule with weekends off. Overtime is available but rarely required.
Police Officer is a full time, regular, non-exempt union position. This position is covered under the provisions of an agreement between the City and the Vancouver Police Officers Guild.
- Patrolling a designated area of the City;
- Responding to a variety of calls for service involving criminal and non-criminal situations and taking necessary police action;
- Preparing accurate reports;
- Conducting investigations, collecting evidence and interviewing witness/suspects;
- Testifying in Federal, State and local courts, and in administrative hearings;
- Working in partnerships with the community to solve problems;
- Developing public relation contact with civil groups, schools, businesses, neighborhood organizations and other law enforcement agencies;
- Representing the police department to other city service areas, elected officials, outside agencies, and to various citizen groups;
- Performing other duties required to accomplish the objectives of the position.
- The ideal candidate must maintain self-discipline and credibility through honest and ethical behavior and must have strong skills and abilities in a wide variety of areas including communication, creative problem solving, community service, teamwork and leadership.
- United States citizenship or lawful permanent resident.
- 21 years of age.
- High School Diploma or its equivalent.
- Valid driver’s license.