Entry Level Police Officer
Salary: $66,321 – $80,691.
Open until filled
The purpose of this position is to perform law enforcement and crime prevention services to the public, to control traffic flow and enforce State and local traffic regulations; and to participate in and provide support and assistance to special Department crime prevention and specialized law enforcement programs. Officers will be required to fulfill all duties of a Police Officer including making arrests, running, climbing, sitting and standing for long hours and writing legible and articulate reports.
- Patrols City in radio-equipped vehicle; answers calls for protection of life, property, and enforcement of City, County, and State laws.
- Conducts preliminary investigations of disturbances, prowlers, burglaries, thefts, hold-ups, vehicle accidents, deaths, and other criminal incidents.
- Checks buildings for physical security.
- Responds to calls related to traffic incidents and any other required emergencies; observes, monitors, and controls routine and unusual traffic conditions; assists and advises motorists and enforces traffic safety laws.
- Stops drivers who are operating vehicles in violation of laws; warns drivers against unlawful practices; issues citations, and make arrests as necessary.
- Directs traffic at fires, special events, and other emergency or congested situations.
- Interviews victims, complainants and witnesses; interrogates suspects; gathers and preserves evidence; testifies and presents evidence in court.
- Searches, fingerprints, transports, and books prisoners.
- Prepares arrest reports, activities performed, and unusual incidents observed.
- Plans and executes crime prevention programs and presentations for local schools, churches, businesses, and community groups.
- Maintains contact with citizens regarding potential law enforcement problems.
- Assists in the performance of special investigative and crime prevention duties, as assigned.
- Successful applicants must have effective written and verbal communication skills and be able to create legible, articulate and error-free reports.
- Applicants must also have strong interpersonal skills to be able to interact with people of different social, economic and ethnic backgrounds in a positive manner.
- Must be able to render credible testimony in a court of law.
- Exercise controlled discretion in situations requiring diplomacy, fairness and sound judgement.
- Interpret laws and regulations, make decisions, maintain composure, and work effectively under stressful conditions and emergency situations.
- Recognize suspicious behavior patterns, mediate difficult situations, question victims and witnesses, and use effective arrest & control techniques.
- Interact with people of different social, economic and ethnic backgrounds.
- Remain alert at all times and react quickly and calmly in emergency situations.
- Evaluate facts and evidence, draw logical conclusions and make proper recommendations.
- Safely maintain and operate a variety of firearms, impact weapons, chemical agents and other law enforcement tools and equipment.
- Operate a personal computer utilizing a variety of business software.
- Communication effectively, both verbal and written.
- Render credible testimony in a court of law.