Entry Level Police Officer
Rate of Pay: $53,045/yr – $59,668/yr DOQ
Job Description & Essential Functions
- The purpose of this position is to perform law enforcement and crime prevention services to the public, to control traffic flow and enforce State and local traffic regulations; and to participate in and provide support and assistance to special Department crime prevention and specialized law enforcement programs. Officers will be required to fulfill all duties of a Police Officer including making arrests, running, climbing, sitting and standing for long hours and writing legible and articulate reports.
- Applicants will also be required to have excellent communication skills and the ability to interact with the public in a positive manner. This information is intended to be descriptive of the key responsibilities of the position. The list of essential functions below does not identify all duties performed by any single incumbent in this position.
- Patrols City in radio-equipped vehicle; answers calls for protection of life, property, and enforcement of City, County, and State laws. Conducts preliminary investigations of disturbances, prowlers, burglaries, thefts, hold-ups, vehicle accidents, deaths, and other criminal incidents. Checks buildings for physical security. Responds to calls related to traffic incidents and any other required emergencies; observes, monitors, and controls routine and unusual traffic conditions; assists and advises motorists and enforces traffic safety laws. Stops drivers who are operating vehicles in violation of laws; warns drivers against unlawful practices; issues citations, and make arrests as necessary. Directs traffic at fires, special events, and other emergency or congested situations.
- Interviews victims, complainants and witnesses; interrogates suspects; gathers and preserves evidence; testifies and presents evidence in court. Searches, fingerprints, transports, and books prisoners. Prepares arrest reports, activities performed, and unusual incidents observed.
- Plans and executes crime prevention programs and presentations for local schools, churches, businesses, and community groups. Maintains contact with citizens regarding potential law enforcement problems. Assists in the performance of special investigative and crime prevention duties, as assigned.
General Knowledge Required – Knowledge of City policies & procedures.
- Police Department General Orders, Code of Conduct, policies & procedures.
- City, County, State and Federal laws, regulations, codes and ordinances.
- Texas criminal justice and court procedures and records management methods.
- Modern law enforcement methods, practices and procedures.
- Basic criminal law on the apprehension, arrest, and custody of persons committing misdemeanors and felonies, including preservation and presentation of evidence in traffic and criminal cases.
- Investigative procedures and protocols for observation of critical details.
- Local community issues and community resources available to citizens.
- Geography, roads, and landmarks of City and surrounding areas.