Emergency Services Dispatch
Salary: $19.02 per hour.
The Emergency Services Dispatch receives requests from the public for police, fire, and emergency medical assistance, and quickly and efficiently dispatches and/or relays calls for service to the appropriate police, fire, and emergency medical agencies or units. Assists emergency service agencies by collecting, retrieving, and disseminating information vital to operations. Also acts as a jailer providing supervision, cleaning duties, meals and phone calls for prisoners. Work is performed under the general supervision of the Dispatch Shift Leader and does not have supervisory responsibilities.
This position is designated as safety sensitive and is subject to random drug and alcohol screening.
- Accurately receives and dispatches calls for police, fire, emergency aid/ambulance and animal control.
- Handles regular, multiple or conflicting demands, time pressures, deadlines or emergencies.
- Views and operates a computer terminal for input and retrieval of records information, including networking with other service agencies and State and National Law enforcement computer systems, sometimes for sustained periods of time.
- Converses by telephone and radio, communicating with and assisting the public, police and fire personnel during emergency and non-emergency situations.
- Performs housekeeping duties in jail and dispatch areas, including but not limited to sweeping and mopping.
- Requires sustained periods of concentration while performing regular job duties.
- Performs other duties as assigned in a positive manner which supports the vision and strategic objectives of the division/department and the entire organization of the City of Owasso.
- High School Diploma or GED Equivalent.
- Valid OK driver license with no suspensions in the past 5 years.
- Requires a minimum of 2 years previous experience in emergency services including police, fire or EMS agencies or private sector high volume call center.
- Ability to keyboard at least 35 words per minute.
- Must be skilled or expert in Microsoft Office applications with ability to use efficiently.
- Ability to multi-task and thrive in a fast-paced environment.
- Must have a passion for helping others.
- Possess emotional self-control in high stress volatile work environment.
- Ability to react quickly, efficiently and calmly, and adopt an effective course of action in emergency and routine situations.
- Must maintain high level of confidentiality.
- Demonstrate a high level of accuracy.
- Interest in continued training and learning toward the Dispatch field.
- Must be able to pass a criminal background investigation, polygraph exam, psychological exam and drug screening.
- OLETS certification.
- Oklahoma State Jailer Certification.
- CPR Certification / First Aid Certification.
- APCO certification.
- EMD certification.