Emergency Communications Dispatcher
This is a CONTINUOUS RECRUITMENT.
There are currently 2 vacancies in the Police Department.
Candidate applications will only be accepted once in a 365 day period and candidates may only test once per application.
City of Sparks is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The first eligibility list will be established based upon testing that occurs in the month of August of 2015. Candidates who pass tests after August of 2015 will be integrated into the rankings on the established eligibility list quarterly, with the first quarter ending December 31, 2015 unless the department has a need earlier.
VERY IMPORTANT INSTRUCTION: Read the section regarding the typing certificate carefully. You MUST attach a qualifying typing certificate to your application. DO NOT attach a resume in place of a typing certificate. DO NOT attach a cover letter in place of a typing certificate. DO NOT attach references in place of a typing certificate. The application requires that you attach a typing certificate before you submit your application. Please obtain the qualifying typing certificate and be prepared to attach it to your application before you submit it. There are detailed instructions below.
**Must be willing to work off-hours, night, weekend and holiday shifts; must be willing to be called back, held over or work assigned shifts in emergency situations**
- Receive 911 system emergency and non-emergency calls; dispatch assignments according to established police and fire procedures;operate various communications center equipment.
- Receive and evaluate 911, police and fire emergency and business calls.
- Transfer calls to appropriate parties or create a call to dispatch police and fire units to emergency or non-emergency locations.
- Operate computer consoles and computerized phone system for call input, dispatching and continuous update of suspect information and officer and fire unit location.
- Enter call information in written or computer based format.
- Log and fill out call forms; maintain records of radio calls.
- Operate multi-channel radio system; monitor other channels while maintaining radio traffic on main channels.
- Maintain radio contact with mobile and portable units.
- Recognize units from other agencies and assist them with City units or supplies requested or information.
- Respond to officer initiated radio traffic and request and disseminate suspect information from call boards, prior calls and bulletins and computer aided systems.
- Maintain and access business and premise history and index files for emergency and other necessary contacts.
- Handles in-house and radio paging, animal control and other after hours phone lines.
- Make entries into national and statewide crime information systems.
- Perform related duties and responsibilities as required and other duties which may be assigned.
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
- Two years of general clerical experience involving computer operations, public contact and meeting deadlines.
- Experience in a law enforcement or fire safety setting is desirable.
- Applicants must have all of the following qualifications to be invited to the testing process:
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- Two years of general clerical experience involving computer operations, public contact and meeting deadlines
- Experience in a law enforcement or fire safety setting is desirable
- Must Submit a typing certificate displaying a minimum of 45 net words per minute
- Must be able to pass a detailed background investigation and must not have used illegal drugs in the past 3 years
Typing Test Submission Information
Applicants must submit to City of Sparks Human Resources a typing test certification along with the application prior to the closing date of this position. Typing test certifications will be accepted from a public/private employment agency or school. On-line certifications will not be accepted. Certifications must be obtained within the last 12 months and be a minimum duration of five minutes, indicating a rate of at least 45 net words per minute.
If you do not have a typing test certificate, you may come to City of Sparks Human Resources, 431 Prater Way, Sparks, NV, on a first come, first serve basis to complete the test, Monday through Thursday, 8:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m., and Friday, 9 a.m. to 2 p.m., prior to the close date for the position.
Civil Service Examination
The Civil Service Examination for this position will be a Skills Based Examination. Qualified applicants will be invited to the City of Sparks for the test. Multiple dates and times will be available in August of 2015. To be considered for the first eligibility list, candidates must complete testing in August of 2015.