Department: Detention Services
UNIT: SECURE DETENTION
SUPERVISOR: UNIT MANAGER
JOB OPPORTUNITY AVAILABLE FOR CUYAHOGA COUNTY JUVENILE COURT COMPLIANCE WITH THE CUYAHOGA COUNTY JUVENILE COURT’S DRUG TESTING POLICY IS A CONDITION OF EMPLOYMENT. THEREFORE, ALL JOB OFFERS ARE MADE WITH THE UNDERSTANDING THAT PROSPECTIVE EMPLOYEES PASS A DRUG SCREENING TEST PRIOR TO BEING HIRED.
STARTING SALARY: $32,283.20
SUMMARY OF JOB FUNCTIONS:
Ensures the best possible care, welfare, and security of Juvenile Court’s Detention Center (JCDC) residents utilizing behavior management techniques and established policies and procedures
- Monitor, supervise, plan, organize, and direct the behavior and activities of residents in a manner that insures residents’ safety and staff safety.
- Interacts and supervises residents through participation in activities, individual discussions, and modeling behavior. Ensures compliance with all JCDC policies/procedures in order to promote a safe, secure, and humane environment for residents and staff.
- Reports any problems or incidents in an appropriate and timely manner to management. Makes timely medical, psychological or behavioral referrals to qualified staff. Directs residents’ regarding JCDC policies, procedures, health, hygiene, housekeeping, and related information.
- Maintains a safe and secure environment for both the residents and staff by diffusing disruptive/destructive behaviors through crisis intervention and verbal counseling whenever possible but when necessary uses physical intervention techniques to gain control of the situation.
- Maintains personal skills and proficiency in application the use of defensive tactics through ongoing physical fitness training and academic training. Must physically perform under stress when confronted with an emergency, critical, and/or dangerous situation.
- Performs duties such as searches of residents, resident’s personal effects, staff, and visitors in accordance with JCDC policies, and procedures. Inspects and reports units for contraband, hazards and security problems.
- Completes logs and prepare written and electronic reports as required. Completes accurate reports and submits them by the end of the shift following the use of physical force and/or mechanical restraints. Demonstrates coherent and effective written communication through reports and memorandums, with both internal and external contacts.
- Provides input to management or social services relative to residents' needs or concerns and identifies activities which may positively impact residents.
- Operates security and communication equipment including, but not limited to portable radios, metal detectors, and mechanical restraints.
- Ensures compliance with federal, state, local and JCDC policies and procedures and court orders.
- Performs other job duties as assigned by Chain of Command.