Detention Officer (Pool)
Recruiting for on call Detention Officers to be placed on an eligible list. Qualifying candidates will be called on an as-needed basis.
Under general supervision, performs specialized law enforcement work in the care and security of prisoners in the County Jail. Work involves admitting and booking inmates, ensuring security of inmates and Jail, and preparing and transporting inmates for court appearances. Employee must exercise considerable tact and firmness in frequent contacts with inmates and the general public. Employee must also exercise alertness and independent judgment in dealing with unusual situations. Employee is subject to the usual hazards of jail management work.
- Admits prisoners to the County Jail; ensures that inmates are properly booked and searched and that inmates are allowed calls to attorneys and relatives; calls bondsman if necessary; and advises prisoners of all jail rules and regulations.
- Secures inmates' property, properly storing and returning appropriate items upon release.
- Reviews logs and reports from previous shift; maintains knowledge of inmate population and cell assignments; completes activity logs and reports.
- Observes inmates' demeanor to determine mental state and possible need for treatment and/or closer observation.
- Issues linen, clothing, toilet supplies; supervises shower and inventory of supplies.
- Distributes mail to prisoners; provides inmates with paper, pencils and envelopes; collects outgoing mail from inmates.
- Inspects the cleaning of jail to meet requirements of state and local officials.
- Patrols entire jail area periodically to prevent escapes and maintain order.
Supervises inmate trustees in service of meals to inmates; supervises trustees in obtaining snacks from canteen for inmates; collects money for canteen from inmates.
- Supervises inmate trustees in cleaning of jail cells; distributes cleaning supplies to trustees.
- Prepares and transports inmates to and from court, visitations or medical appointments, etc.; escorts work release inmates to and from cell blocks; searches work release inmates upon return to Jail.
- Assists visitors, inspects items brought to jail for inmates.
ADDITIONAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- May escort Detention Nurse on rounds to visit and assess inmates; ensures inmates are provided prescribed medications.
- May escort clergy members through cell blocks to meet with inmates.
- Performs other related work as required
- Graduation from high school, or any equivalent combination of training and experience which provides the required skills, knowledge or abilities.
- Valid North Carolina Driver's License.
- Must be at least 21 years of age.