Salary: $3,753.20 – $4,135.40 Monthly.
This is responsible law enforcement work involving performance of a variety of duties to control and supervise the activities of persons incarcerated in the Butte-Silver Bow Detention Facility. The work is performed under the general direction and supervision of the Detention Facility Administrator, but some leeway is granted for the exercise of independent judgement and initiative. The nature of the work performed requires that an employee in this class establish and maintain close cooperative working relationships with the supervisor, other law enforcement and emergency response personnel, inmates and the general public. Because the work is performed in close proximity with persons convicted of criminal offenses, the work involves an element of personal danger.
- Supervises and controls the custody and activities of inmates of the Butte-Silver Bow Detention Facility by enforcing facility rules and regulations, maintaining order and discipline and monitoring and controlling activities within assigned areas of the facility;
- Supervises and performs intake of prisoners to assure implementation of regulations concerning fingerprinting, mug photography, hygiene, and allocated clothing;
- Communicates and coordinates with multiple agencies, including County Attorney’s Office;
- Monitors and regulates recreational, educational, hygienic, nourishment and social activities to maintain control of individual prisoners and the general inmate population;
- Supervises inmate visitations, intervening in and/or reporting abnormalities;
- Generates statistical and narrative reports;
- Performs cell checks;
- Issues basic supplies to prisoners;
- Answers phones and responds to questions regarding Detention Facility population;
- Administers medication to inmates;
- Delivers meals to inmates;
- Cleans Detention Facility cells;
- Performs related work as required.
- Perform all duties and work assignments in a safe, healthy, and environmentally sound manner. Specifically, complying with the Health & Safety Program; maintaining work areas in a safe and orderly manner; identifying and reporting unsafe conditions; reporting all accidents; wearing required personal protective equipment; and attending safety-related meetings, training sessions, fit testing, etc.
- Perform all duties and work assignments in compliance with project quality requirements.
- Act responsibly and ethically, and in conformance with generally accepted business, occupational, and professional standards.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Shall not be less than eighteen (18) years of age;
- Must be a citizen of the United States;
- If served in the armed forces, must have received an honorable discharge;
- Must successfully pass all required examinations to include a physical fitness test, a written test, oral interview and a comprehensive background check;
- Must not have been convicted of a felony or other crime involving moral turpitude;
- Detention Officer Basic Certification (upon completion of one year);
- Possession of a valid Driver’s License issued by the State of Montana;
- Must be a resident of Butte-Silver Bow during employment according to Butte-Silver Bow Ordinance. See below.