Salary: $23.48 Hourly.
Full-time position which performs routine supervisory work in the safekeeping of prisoners in custody at the Yellowstone County Sheriff’s Office Detention Facility. Protects the well being of prisoners overseeing them at meals, at activities and in their quarters; does related work as required. The Detention Officer is a uniformed civilian staff position which performs responsible law enforcement work involving a variety of duties to control and supervise the activities of persons incarcerated in the County’s Detention Facility. Previous experience in law enforcement, security or detention facility background desired. Any individual with a felony conviction, a domestic violence conviction or outstanding warrants is ineligible for consideration for employment by the Yellowstone County Sheriff’s Department.
- Supervises and controls the custody and activities of inmates of the County’s detention facility by enforcing facility rules and regulations, maintaining order and discipline and monitoring and controlling activities within assigned areas of the facility;
- Supervises and performs intake of prisoners to assure implementation of regulations concerning fingerprinting, mug photography, hygiene, and allocated clothing;
- Ensures prisoners are properly classified for assimilation into detention facility and population;
- Monitors and regulates recreational, educational, hygienic, nourishment and social activities to maintain control of individual prisoners and the general inmate population.
- Graduation from high school or G.E.D.;
- Recruitment & selection processes will involve a written test, oral interview, criminal background check, and general fitness evaluation process.
- Employees must have successfully completed and passed the required tests and fitness evaluation.