Minimum Start Salary: $27.01 per hour
Ensures the safety and security of inmates incarcerates, in parole unit, pre-trial, and/or awaiting court trial while maintaining custody and control as prescribed by rules and regulations. Participates in Planning of programs, policies or objectives for own work group and department.
- May be assigned duties in Transport, Utility, Food Service and Bailiff Department.
- Conducts head count and door checks on a regular basis.
- Conducts strip searches as needed.
- Classifies incoming inmates, fingerprints, and completes required paperwork.
- Restrains inmates as needed in any confrontation with staff or other inmates.
- Maintains custody while providing a safe environment.
- Maintains facility and grounds as assigned.
- Assists in supervision of recreational activities.
- Supervises feeding and hygiene activities of inmates.
- Supervises law library as assigned.
- Inspects cell visually and recognizes inmates requiring reclassification based upon physical or mental state.
- Prepares reports as required on activities, incidents, shakedowns, searches, and other functions.
- Files criminal charges on inmates found to be in violation of penal code laws.
- High School Diploma/GED.
- Currently holds or eligible* to hold a Peace Officer License awarded by the Texas Commission on Law Enforcement (TCOLE). *At time of application must have passed a Basic Police Academy and passed the TCOLE Licensing Exam.
- One year experience in a law enforcement agency performing peace officer, telecommunication, or correctional officer duties; or two years military service with an honorable discharge; or 30 semester credit hours with a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0 from an accredited college or university.
- Verbal and written communication skills; interpersonal skills and ability to deal effectively with the public, other employees, and elected officials.
- Organizational skills and ability to complete assigned projects in timely manner.
- Valid Driver’s License.
- Must maintain all requirements to be licensed as a peace officer under TCOLE rules.
- When duty assignment is in Detention Bureau, must obtain and maintain correctional officer certification per TCOLE rules (this is not a prerequisite to assignment, may be completed after assignment starts).
- Must complete a Modified Field Training Officer Program.