Under direction, an employee in this class assists the Undersheriff and Sheriff in administering the activities of the Sheriff’s Office. The incumbent is involved in the development and formulation of departmental policy and procedure. Responsibility is included for ensuring compliance of departmental operations with state-mandated minimum standards as legislated through the NYS Commission of Corrections. Does related work as required.
- Performs the duties of the Undersheriff and Sheriff in their absence;
- Assists in the development, formulation and revision of departmental policies and procedures;
- Ensures compliance of policies and procedures with state mandates and county directives;
- Oversees intelligence analysis to identify current trends and threats to the facilities and the community; Utilizes a data-driven approach to training and program development to address current threats and concerns while keeping staff capabilities current;
- Advises subordinates in the best practices, policies and procedures concerning Civil Practice Laws and Rules, New York Corrections Law, NYS Criminal Procedure Law, NYS Penal Law and the NYS Family Court Act;
- Conducts meetings to discuss problems and policy matters;
- Supervises the training and activities of Sheriff’s Office uniformed and civilian staff;
- Reviews and analyzes periodic reports, including the budget;
- Meets with individual citizens to discuss relevant issues;
- Performs specialized projects as required.
- Graduation from a college with federally-authorized accreditation or registration by New York State with a Bachelor’s Degree and eight (8) years of experience in corrections or law enforcement in the rank of Warden, Chief or above.