Deputy Sheriff – School Resource Officer
9/11/2022 11:59 PM Eastern
To establish a pool of part time School Resource Officer Deputies that would work 30 to 35 hours per week during the school year. Daily work hours are 7:30AM – 2:30PM on days that school is in session. Work locations will be assigned after the applicant has been hired. Locations will be inside of Roanoke County at an Elementary School.
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES:
Provide safety and security to the students, staff, parents, and school grounds of the Roanoke County Public Schools. Establish and maintain a close partnership with school administrators in order to provide for a safe school environment. Be visible within the school community.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Regularly conduct security sweeps inside and outside the school/school grounds.
- Attend and participate in school functions.
- Build working relationships with the school’s staff as well as with student and parent groups.
- Work closely with teachers in designing and presenting law-related topics and the role of law enforcement in our society.
- Initiate interaction with students in the classroom and general areas of the school building.
- Promote the profession of law enforcement and be a positive role model.
- Increase the visibility and accessibility of law enforcement to the school community.
- Other duties as assigned.
Required: High school diploma or equivalent.
Preferred: Some experience in public and personal contact work preferably related to law enforcement activities.
Required: Valid Virginia driver’s license with good driving record.