Deputy Sheriff – Patrol Deputy
$42,349.13 – $48,701.50 Annually
General Statement of Duties
The Sheriff’s Office is seeking sworn law enforcement officers to join our team! An employee in this class performs a variety of duties in one of the major divisions of the Sheriff’s Office including uniformed patrol, civil, courts, school resource officer and criminal investigation. After becoming familiar with the duties this employee is expected to exercise independent judgment and discretion in varying situations. Considerable tact and firmness are required in dealing with the public. The employee is subject to the usual hazards of law enforcement work. Work is performed under general supervision and is subject to direct supervision on new and complex assignments. Work is evaluated in conferences, by observation, and through review of records and reports.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Patrols an assigned area of the County, answers complaints and requests for assistance, investigates crimes and disturbances; interviews witnesses, questions suspects, gathers and preserves evidence, makes arrests, testifies in court.
- Cooperates with law enforcement personnel of other governmental agencies in making investigations and arrests.
- Transports prisoners, mental patients, and intoxicated persons to institutions for confinement or treatment; provides transportation in certain emergencies.
- Provides protective escort; maintains order at public gatherings.
- May operate speed detection devices or breath analyzer.
- Prepares and maintains daily reports concerning criminal activity; prepares related reports as requested.
- Assists in the preparation of crime prevention programs; develops contacts among local community organizations and businesses; conducts seminars.
- Performs related work as needed.
Minimum Education and Experience
Graduation from high school or GED and completion of NC basic law enforcement training (BLET). Must meet standards set by the North Carolina Sheriff’s Standards and Training Division. All applicants must successfully pass a rigorous background process to include, but not limited to, criminal records check, polygraph exam, psychological/medical screening, pre-employment physical fitness testing and standardized reading comprehension test.
Possession of a valid driver’s license.